We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: HF activity is on the rise  (Read 1439 times)

Matt285

HF activity is on the rise
« on: March 17, 2020, 0019 UTC »
Lots of activity the last couple of days on HF. Guessing it's a combination of good propagation and the fact that people are staying indoors.

Matt285

Re: HF activity is on the rise
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 0027 UTC »
It's 8:25 here and 20m is going strong. Coast to coast and DX as well. The band is normally dead at my QTH this time of day on 20.

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Strange Beacons Website
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 1215 UTC »
I monitor the 40m band on most days. Over the past week, I've noticed a huge increase in voice/phone activity there. Listening in on a few of the conversations, I mostly heard people discussing the coronavirus. I'm assuming that the increase is due to more and more people being home in quarantine.

Offline nickcarr3151

• Bellevue, WA
  • The only easy day was yesterday...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 1942 UTC »
I think it's more likely due to propagation.  At least here in the USA, the seasonal changes should be bringing a little help.  I noticed a lot of fishermen chatting in the early morning hours coming in over the Pacific ocean.
Perseus SDR + Wellbrook ALA100LN (60m loop), Wellbrook 1530S+
ICOM 7000 + Zero-Five 10/40 GP Vertical
Xiegu G90
Motorola XPR/XTS Portables, Uniden scanners, Whistler Scanners
Airspy Mini SDR + DSDPlus + Diamond D3000N Discone

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 2036 UTC »
And, more activity on 17M (18MHz), centered around 18.140MHz, during the daytime.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.