We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 6626.3 "Rocky" restored and further APOLOGY to Jim Tewwaki a good member here..  (Read 2659 times)

Offline MojaveBeaconeer

• View Profile
Need to state I will not comment on Jims recent e-sending to me re. my rather snarky attitude I extended toward him in my won misunderstanding. We both love this desert beacon stuff.  Just a bit of misunderstandings based upon (me thinks) mutual mis-understandings for which I will take 99% blame for.  I feel I have contributed a lot to the radio DX world out there, since I got into MW DX in 1972 with my father's panasonic radio I found in a closet in Marin County.  Thus this fascination began.

The desert beacon thing started with my implanting a 4096 beacon "the Little Beeper" in a remote fern canyon valley in marin County in Winter 1988, after transmitting with it from parent's house earlier.

I could hear its fading and second harmonic by day fading from 4 miles to he west.  The location was "fern canyon" 2 miles west of Loma Alta Hill in marin - my fave hitt to hike on and listen to natural radio in 1991 and beyond.

the creator of the "wind beacon" (then on 4095.5 kHz called "The Wind Beacon" NOT "windy" as thought today) - mainly the RF end of things (his friend does the IT stuff for the micro-pro and eprom it has to send the data and whom built the canteloupe spoon anenometer).  He implanted a 4096 beacon I first heard in Aug. 1996 from Glacier, WA at KG6EK/&'s QTH - Jim Ericson - a fellow at the centre (like WB6EER - Mike MIdeke) of the 1750 meter "LowFER group. I visiteed Jim coming back fro a 2 day car trip from tacoma, WA (where I was doing IT work at a hospital via a SF, CA based company) and got fed up with tacoma and went on a fast trip into BC and back via abbortsford to wash. and into Glacier Valle.  The 4096 ditter was great sign at dawn and I found out later it was a guy in Ca implanted it in AZ desert. Cool1 I did this in 1988-1989 in marin.  cool!

Hence began the 4096 beacons, and I moved to Lone Pine in 1997 and then had access to the bit Mojave desert to do my "radio art" hance the 4096 beacons that in their heydey certainly WERE amazing sounding.  The WIND BEACON was a part - down at the low end on 4095.5.

Might was well give a link:

https://archive.org/details/TheBestOfHawaiiMediumwaveamBroadcast-bandDx-86To91/4096_Desert_Beacons_Vs_in_eCA-seCA_nwAZ_sAZ-and_Rec_Near_Tecopa_Calif_02oct2001_evening_R1000-SPMcGreevy-n6nks-long-ver2-edit-eq.mp3

THAT was fun, and I asked the FCC vicariously to "tolerate this most unusual radio art/propagation study "(EdH the inventor of TCP/IP internet protocal was a cool guy I met a lot with in this...).

So FF to today.

Despite my earlier warning, I extend a full Olive Treet o jim whom HAS been a torch in this and a strange defendor of the "windy" beacon I know wholly about and it has been moved since 2001 anyway, so the pic was innocent  fully or else I would not have  protested and posted it on my own site, anyway, .. or WOR, anyway...

So... I have REACTIVATED "Rocky" fast dasher (about 120?) DPM) just near Keeler out side by a mile via a barbed wire fence "monopole" cut to 1/4 wave and the ground is a long length 1 foot under the 1/4 wave barbed wire "monopole" wire pointing N.W. - so teh best signal should be to the NW/SE from keeler.  I admit this cuz it is OK with our free nation (still!!!) FCC. OKay folks?  Time to ask for licensing of this cool project and get it out in the open and not "where is that signal at" wponder.  All of the cloak and adgger siliness is MOOT in-light of SDRs / TDoA DFing which the FCC and mil. have FAR past the Excalibur modes... OK???  Soon as Anything is put on, the system KNOWS where it is - satellite DFing stuff included as EdH told me about in detail in 1002-2003 that was in-opne anyway but DXerws and public back then knew little about.

So rorry Jim - OK? Keep up gud werk here at HFU.

66.26 Keeler (out of town by a mile) via barbed ire fence - pulled outta a place 4 miles west of DARWIN, CA since 2007, is back home and fixed again and on a NVIS antenna near Keeler abopiut 100 mW.. OKAY? no sekret.  FCC okay? BUST the AM band pattern and power cheaters galore instead rather than silly milli-watt beacons like in CO etc. just do not xmit, dear beaconeers, on mil freqs etc. NOR the ham bands, sullies! do it on blanks freqs done after careful monitoring and keep them low powered, folks!!!!..

SpM

Offline MojaveBeaconeer

• View Profile
whoops alotta typos above posting but UALL figure it out, LOL-HI!

In the 11 minute Internet Archives recording posted just above, the highest pitched "dasher" is just a 4011 NAND gate keying into a dipole about 10 feet up facing southward/northward  and just 10 ft. above decomposed granite soil (amazing for RF properties and reflecting capabilities we KNOW too, now!).  It was located 10 miles SW of Lone Pine at the "Great Space Cneter" (Franklin Merril Wolfe)  . Just like Hexie in JTNP - like DG actually sewems to AMPLIFY HF beacon signals!! // etc.

Amazing 6700.5 still lives now 20 yrs... (Hexy2K which EdH and I pimpanted in 29 Dec. 1999 and hiked 3 miles back to White tank CG to "enjoy" the CG filled - up with Euro-Drunks and hige beer cups galore wishing the world to end Y2K stlye!  We laughed ""It has not happened in China" yet and it IS 2000 THERE, now, NO??? SO what is the fuss?

Anyway, we camped there to plant the 6700 unit and to enjoy a New Millenium Coming (OMG what if we knew now...!!!!).

anyway, 73 Jim etc. enjopy HF DX and the analogue mode... and via "the digital beast" here via HFU, too... ;-0

Steve McGreevy - N6NKS

Offline MojaveBeaconeer

• View Profile

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Thanks for the updates.  I have never heard the 6 MHz beacons here on the east coast, but will keep trying.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Dave Richards

• Oakland, CA
    • View Profile
    • Ham Radio (and occasionally Part 15) Blog
    • Email
Am hearing what I assume is Rocky on the KPH SDR in Point Reyes, CA at about an S1 or S2 at 1830 utc. Fast dits (about 180/minute), with a chirp on the signal.
Oakland, CA
(SF Bay Area)

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
    • My adventures are at Sun To The North
Am hearing what I assume is Rocky on the KPH SDR in Point Reyes, CA at about an S1 or S2 at 1830 utc. Fast dits (about 180/minute), with a chirp on the signal.

With regard to your previous mention of using SDRs being "allowed" or not, I think they area a great tool and have been a huge help to me.
Jim
NRD-525, Elecraft KX3 and Elecraft PX3 Spectrum Display
76' end fed long wire & 66' off-center fed dipole for 10/20/40 meters
Orange County, SoCal, The better half

Offline Dave Richards

• Oakland, CA
    • View Profile
    • Email
With regard to your previous mention of using SDRs being "allowed" or not, I think they area a great tool and have been a huge help to me.

Thanks. That's my view too, as long as there is transparency in the report i.e. the poster states what SDR is being used. This way, the report is meaningful.
Oakland, CA
(SF Bay Area)

Offline Dave Richards

• Oakland, CA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Rocky coming in this morning at about an S2 on the KPH SDR in Point Reyes, CA. Chirpy, chirpy, cheep cheep! (That was part of the refrain from a British 1970's Top 40 hit. I don't expect anyone to get that. The Brit in me couldn't help it :) )
Oakland, CA
(SF Bay Area)