We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Icom IC-R8600 vs Icom IC7300  (Read 3659 times)

Offline gcopter1

• View Profile
Icom IC-R8600 vs Icom IC7300
« on: April 02, 2020, 2256 UTC »
So I've been scouring the internet for more info on performance on the MW band.

So far, I've read where the IC R-8600, beats the IC7300 by about 2db.

Is that worth the price difference?

I could wait a bit longer to save up and get the R8600, but, I really don't need the VHF/UHF capabilities, I've got scanners for that.

A new R-8600 currently sells for around $2,250.00. I've seen used ones on eBay (very, very, few ones offered for sale there) between $1,800 to $2,000.

A new IC7300 for $979, a hundred dollars less with rebates, and used prices, a bit lower than that.

The R-8600, does not require me to go out and purchase another Power Supply as I already own a Radio Shack model suitable for the job.

If I were to get the 7300, I've got to factor in another PS, it would still be close to half of what I would need to get the R8600.

On the other hand, while not a hardcore MW DX'er, every now and then at night, I like to tune around and see what I can hear.

I've seen/read others opinions, such as G. Lyell opinion's in YouTube, regarding the R8600 performance and respect that. What I'm not too clear on is  the seemingly small difference in sensitivity.

I've recently saw another post somewhere that explained a "workaround" to gap this difference. Can't remember exactly the wording but the gist was that, the 7300, has a pre amp setting on AM that, by default, is off. Turning it on, would help AM reception.

Looking for opinions on this matter...

Thanks.

Offline nickcarr3151

• Bellevue, WA
  • The only easy day was yesterday...
    • View Profile
Re: Icom IC-R8600 vs Icom IC7300
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 1935 UTC »
The R-8600, does not require me to go out and purchase another Power Supply as I already own a Radio Shack model suitable for the job.

So you'd really put your shiny & new, $2200 receiver on a R/S power supply..?
Perseus SDR + Wellbrook ALA100LN (60m loop), Wellbrook 1530S+
ICOM 7000 + Zero-Five 10/40 GP Vertical
Xiegu G90
Motorola XPR/XTS Portables, Uniden scanners, Whistler Scanners
Airspy Mini SDR + DSDPlus + Diamond D3000N Discone

Offline gcopter1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 1824 UTC »
Mmmm...why not?

Seems to be working well so far with my Alinco DX_R8.

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 2003 UTC »
For AM Broadcast Band reception, your Alinco is a bit more sensitive than the 7300 while the 8600 is the most sensitive of the bunch.
However, my suggestion would be to read the QST reviews for each of the three receivers paying particular attention to the dynamic range specs.

That said, IMHO, your Alinco is all you really need for AM BCB work.  If it were me, before investing in a new receiver for AM BCB reception, my approach would be an investment in a loop antenna
to squeeze more out of the Alinco.
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 2156 UTC »
In real world terms a 2dB diff is usually within the margin of error for testing sensitivity, even 3dB diff I'd take as being more or less identical. You will never notice it in use.

On rs power supplies, some of them are unregulated and that means a bit of varying dc and perhaps noise in the power.

And more to the root of the question, if the dx r8 hears everything the other proposed receivers will in the ranges they share, and I am confident that will be the case, why spend the kilodollars? There are any number of worthy rx sdrs out there that can scratch the sdr itch for you for even less than a new 7300.

If you're a HAM then mebbe a 7300 would be nice to have, great rx and comes with a nifty fish finder, I wouldn't waste money on a used one when new with warranty is only a hundred dollars more.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline gcopter1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 0818 UTC »
I already have two loop antennas; a W6LVP and a Wellbrook loop, they're both in my attic.

Reason I ask, I want to get an Icom is for the waterfall/spectrum display. Not to keen on the idea of hooking another monitor to display that, in my limited desk space. Yes, I'm also a ham, although a technician, for now...

Thanks to all for the replies.

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 1003 UTC »
Your Alinco with the loops should be all you need for AM BCB work.  Neither of the other receivers will be of much if any advantage on the AM band.
If you want a spectrum display, take a look at the SDRplay radios.  For a lot less money you can be up and running. The spectrum display and
waterfall are nice for seeing which AM stations are running digital sidebands or picking out a signal that suddenly pops up.  However, at night with all the skywave coming in
it can be a real jumble.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 2042 UTC »
I already have two loop antennas; a W6LVP and a Wellbrook loop, they're both in my attic.

Reason I ask, I want to get an Icom is for the waterfall/spectrum display. Not to keen on the idea of hooking another monitor to display that, in my limited desk space. Yes, I'm also a ham, although a technician, for now...

Considering the above I feel a new 7300 will do you well in ambc and HAM. I too like the ability to have a fish finder running without needing a pc, the 756p2 in front of me is evidence of that.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2020, 2150 UTC »
Mmmm...why not?

Seems to be working well so far with my Alinco DX_R8.

Just make sure your supply has some kind of protection circuitry in case the pass transistor were to fail.

Offline jasmine

• Seattle
  • Riding the (electromagnetic) waves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 2118 UTC »

monitors are much cheaper than multi thousand dollar radios. but if the thought of mounting another monitor (notice i didn't say putting it on your desk) is too much you can always just get a sandalone SDR (that's an SDR with a little built in screen) for under $400: https://www.rtl-sdr.com/afredi-lan-iq-standalone-12-bit-30-khz-to-1-7-ghz-sdr-with-lcd-screen-for-339

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=S1rxhLCJ7yI

that said, i'd just go for another monitor on a mount. i have no idea what kind of monitors you currently use but most new ones are light weight and come ready for VESA mounting options (wall brackets, multi-monitor mounts, etc)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 2128 UTC by jasmine »
SDRPlay RSP1a, Airspy HF+Discovery, Malahit Clone with v1.10D & MLA-30+ Magnetic Loop Antenna

Offline gcopter1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2020, 2054 UTC »

monitors are much cheaper than multi thousand dollar radios. but if the thought of mounting another monitor (notice i didn't say putting it on your desk) is too much you can always just get a sandalone SDR (that's an SDR with a little built in screen) for under $400: https://www.rtl-sdr.com/afredi-lan-iq-standalone-12-bit-30-khz-to-1-7-ghz-sdr-with-lcd-screen-for-339

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=S1rxhLCJ7yI

that said, i'd just go for another monitor on a mount. i have no idea what kind of monitors you currently use but most new ones are light weight and come ready for VESA mounting options (wall brackets, multi-monitor mounts, etc)

That looks interesting, will give it a look. Thanks.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns