We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: TROPICAL RADIO  (Read 3094 times)

Offline DOCTOR

• INDIANA
    • View Profile
    • Email
TROPICAL RADIO
« on: March 08, 2012, 0143 UTC »
HAS anyone listened to the Tropical Band radio frequencies?..I have heard american voice, shipshow , so far, nice and loud, will put in frequencies tmrw...
DOCTOR. ;D
DOCTOR/WA7026SWL

INDIANA
RCVR...EATON S350DL, TESCUN PL600
ANTENNA...GRUNDIG INDOOR LOOP MW
WHIP, LONGWIRE...
ALINCO DX 70T/END FED WIRE

***PLEASE QSL***

Offline zackers

• View Profile
Re: TROPICAL RADIO
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 1914 UTC »
Conditions have been rather poor in that band this winter for some reason. I was tuning around there a few days ago and didn't hear much, but the thunderstorm QRN was getting pretty bad there.
East Central Illinois
TS-850S, 40 meter full-wave loop, various dipoles

cmradio

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 2223 UTC »
Yeah, I can usually get Aussie Northern Territory programming way down below 3MHz and this winter I have barely heard 2.5MHz WWV. Even 80M ham has been mostly groundwave.

Peace!

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 1511 UTC »
Very disturbed RF this morning, that solar flare/CME letting us know it was here.  Essentially no signals above 9400 kHz just before sunrise local, and that is jsut not right.

March 09, 2012.

1303 UTC, 2310 kHz, ABC North Territory, Australia, English and something else that I assume is Aboriginal, S5 but 100% copy.

1310 UTC, 2325 kHz, ABC North Territory, Australia, English and something else that I assume is Aboriginal, S7 but 100% copy.

1313 UTC, 3220 kHz, KCBS, Hamnug, North Korea, in Korean.  Weak but solid copy on language, never heard ID but multiple mentions of Korea.

1320 UTC, 3305 kHz, Radio Western, Daru, Papua New Guinea.  Weak and poor copy.  Good enough to ID one of the languages as Tok Pisin.  Going to have to concentrate on this one some day when conditions are better, I want a good recording of this form of Pidgin, it is an interesting language.

1328 UTC, 3365 kHz, probably Radio Milne Bay, Alotau, Papua New Guinea.  Weak and poor copy.  Mixture of languages, again sounds like English and Tok Pisin.  No real ID heard, but the language narrows it down.

1334 UTC, 3480 and 3480.23 kHz.  Two stations, essentially on top of each other.  Both are in Korean.  This would be both Voice of the People, Goyang, South Korea, and PBS Pyongyang, Wonsan, North Korea.  Based on audio shifts I assume the 3480.23 kHz sig is Pyongyang.  Also, the station on 3480.23 has spurious audio tones at 3190 Hz, something I have seen on the Pyongyang transmitter when it was up alone.

0140 UTC, 3912 kHz, Voice of the People, Goyang, South Korea.  Heavily jammed by North Korea, but still copiable.  Combined signal level of the two stations is 10 over S9.

0143 UTC, 3915 kHz, Radio Fly, Papua New Guinea, mixed language, English, Tok Pisin, and French.

0150 UTC, 3945 kHz, Radio Vanuatu, Port Vila, Vanuatu.  Mixed language, English and something I could not ID, maybe Bislama from the listing?  Very Pidgin like, similar to the Tok Pisin on Radio Fly and Radio Milne Bay.

0203 UTC, 4010.05 kHz, Kyrghyz Radio 1, Bishkek, Kyrgystan.  Language I could not ID, but assume is Kyrgyz.  Never got a clear ID, but based on listings, time, gray line, I am very sure this is what I heard.  At times, for short peaks, very clear, but never very strong.  Peaked out at about S8 or so, but most of the time around S5 or a little less.

This last was the catch of the morning for me, at least as far as something I had not heard before, and it was definitely gray line, the map at the time put the line right through both of us.  It may have been a 100 kW station, but it was from an odd place, on an odd freq, and it was a long path, roughly 6975 miles.  Yeah, ABC North Territory on 2310 and 2325 kHz were further at just over 8000 miles, and lower power, and Radio Western, from Papua New Guinea was the mornings best power to distance ratio, a 10 kW station at 7075 miles, but both of them I have received before, the Kyrghyz Radio was something new for me.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline DOCTOR

• INDIANA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 0147 UTC »
Good catches TOKEN ;D
Some I picked up
3218  3/7/0145 American Voice Radio..internet shows eagle point,Oregon, transmitter location unk...

4840  3/8 0120  Ships Radio..Ships How Radio w/ Peter Shipsaw...a new one to me, location of transmitters unk..
DOCTOR :)
DOCTOR/WA7026SWL

INDIANA
RCVR...EATON S350DL, TESCUN PL600
ANTENNA...GRUNDIG INDOOR LOOP MW
WHIP, LONGWIRE...
ALINCO DX 70T/END FED WIRE

***PLEASE QSL***