We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Objection filed against application for DRM SWBC license  (Read 999 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Shortwave Solutions LLC filed an objection to the Application for International Broadcast Construction Permit (“Application”) by DPA Mac LLC (“DPA”). This is the DRM SWBC station application that appears to be an attempt to continue transmitting the real time financial trading data currently being sent under an Experimental Part 5 license.

The objection can be downloaded as a pdf file here:
https://licensing.fcc.gov/myibfs/download.do?attachment_key=6315321
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Objection filed against application for DRM SWBC license
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 2001 UTC »
With the changing of the guard at the commission, this may have the desired effect.  It is rather satisfying to read such roasting in legalese ;D

Maybe all the racket on 43 meters will go away soon, just in time for the coming of the new cycle.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Charlie_Dont_Surf

• Charlie's Point, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 2006 UTC »
Mmmmk. So one company doing shortwave data transmission for trading  is objecting to another's proposed solution. No surprise. Business rivalry.

Unrelated but this is from Shortwave Solutions website (bold added by me):

Out of stealth mode after successfully completing a second Chicago to Europe HF link for a private client, we are excited to extend our fully proprietary solution to additional geographies and offer better wireless connections for businesses in which every millisecond matters.

To that end, we have already taken initial steps to construct a Chicago to Tokyo HF link and a Chicago to Mumbai HF link, which is expected to be fully operational by October 2021. Critically, these links will offer target latency of 39.0 ms for Chicago to Tokyo and target latency of 49.0 ms for Chicago to Mumbai.

Were they really trying to cloak themselves? There had to be names associated with their existing projects.

I'd like to see what frequency/power/antenna combos they propose for the Chicago to Mumbai connection.  It would seem challenging (but not impossible) to do reliably even with the low SNR requirement they have.
I don't STRETCH the truth.

"Every minute I spend in this room, my signal gets weaker.
Every minute Charlie squats in the bush, his signal gets stronger."

Offline bfrederi

• Boston area, MA, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 1258 UTC »
This is just an educated guess on my part, but lots of start-up companies use the melodramatic term "stealth mode" to refer to the period of development prior to their first public press release. "Low profile" might be a better term. They certainly do not have any way to remain truly invisible, but they try to minimize public chatter by not discussing revealing info and by telling their employees, friends, and business partners "Hey! Keep your mouths shut until we tell you otherwise."
- Usually Airspy HF+/SDR Console V3.1
- After the tree guys left, now have a 125 ft wire that goes up to the west from 12 ft to 40ft., then a stretch SE that drops to 20ft termination. I should probably just say "longwire" and not worry about it. Miss that tree.
- Sometimes Sangean ATS-909X with whip and/or stock reel and/or YouLoop
- Remote SDRs only used when signal not present at home QTH, and always noted
- Shazam only used to ID music released after 1992. Mostly.
eQSLs to bfrederi1@verizon.net much appreciated

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns