We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: KIGS 620 AM 0735 UTC 12 April 2020  (Read 588 times)

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
  • Lake Stevens, Washington
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
KIGS 620 AM 0735 UTC 12 April 2020
« on: April 12, 2020, 2039 UTC »
Under the sports talk of Portland’s KPOJ, which dominates 620 here, I could hear Southeast Asian music fade up at times to an audible level. This was Radio Punjab programming, which simulcasts on KIGS in Fresno/Hanford, California.

The signal was never close to KPOJ’s, but it was audible at the peaks. KIGS runs 1,000 watts all the time; distance from me is 817 miles.

Weird footnote, according to Wikipedia: The family of Steve Perry from Journey started this station, and the station building and transmitter towers (the original still are standing) is the basis of the cover art for Journey's "Raised on Radio" cover. I looked at the Google Street View of the transmitter site, and it's indeed very similar to the cover art.
Eric Fetters-Walp / eQSL to fettwalp@outlook.com

Radios: Eton Elite Field, Sihuadon R-108, Eton Grundig Edition Satellit
Antennas: 60-foot-long end-fed wire, MLA-30+ loop