We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: What the hell is this noise?  (Read 2350 times)

Offline Kage

• US
  • Modulating Madness
    • View Profile
    • The Free Radio Forum
    • Email
What the hell is this noise?
« on: May 12, 2020, 1750 UTC »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BOi1QykSnY

I am pretty ticked right now. Been investing a lot of time in building a new EFHW monoband antenna now that I got some type 6 yellow toroids to play with. Literally the same day I received them in the mail and started experimenting I turned on the radio only after a day of having it off and now this plagues multiple channels.
Like many I monitor 27.185 so I first noticed it there, then channel switched around to find the culprit, happens to be ch16, but it's actually a zero, 27.150MHz.
Looked up anything on the frequency, zilch. Harmonics are not alive. It's specifically this frequency.

So after a few days of this now I walked around, noticed it was covering the whole damn area. Took my DX398 and biked around in anger and narrowed it down to a fenced in house 1/8 mile away.

I stood outside on bike with my radio and monitored it to make sure, yup, it's this house.

WTF kind of appliance would cause that noise at that great of a distance?
The tone does not change. It's a constant ... that. At first I thought it was some kids RC car remote stuck on ON, because it sounds like it. This thing is covering 1/8-1/4 or more mile of reception and I don't know what to do except pray they turn off whatever it is!

I don't make this much interference as a pirate radio operator lol. This crap has to be some chinesium flame thrower over powerlines or something. I had a hell of a time narrowing it down to the house because the power lines were carrying it. WTF?
I'm not saying aliens are in the radio, but aliens definitely are in the radio.
The Free Radio Forum

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: What the hell is this noise?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 1920 UTC »
Got one of those portable 40CH CB's, or a 3MHz - 30MHz SW radio, that you could walk around with? This could be anything, (And I've heard that noise as well.), like Panasonic TV's, CATV, or DSL, MODEM, switching power supply for any appliance, computer desktop, laptop, pad, and their associated power supplies, printer, FAX machine, (Yes, I still have one.), power company's newer smart meter, any appliance with "Smart" tech and wi-fi in it, anything! At my QTH, I've used a portable to locate RFI spurs from the DSL MODEM, and our in-ground Clear Stream UV Light Power Supply. (I fixed that one by installing a .1uF - 250V CAP across the DC terminals.) Now, when ya find it, and prove it by powering a device down, then back ON again, see what can be done, like ferrite chokes on power and signal cables, HV CAP's across terminals, aluminum foil tape wrapped around a device. (Don't do it to a wi-fi device with built-in antenna.) Good luck!!!!!!  Happy hunting!!!!
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 2041 UTC »
Plasma tv?
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline 2WR3505

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 1542 UTC »
no, i know that sound, lol. its a classic rc car remote, lol. alot of the rc cars from the late 90s and older operated within the 11 meter band.

funny enough, i still hear that classic sound sometimes, but not constantly 24/7

Offline Kage

• US
  • Modulating Madness
    • View Profile
    • The Free Radio Forum
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 1722 UTC »
no, i know that sound, lol. its a classic rc car remote, lol. alot of the rc cars from the late 90s and older operated within the 11 meter band.

funny enough, i still hear that classic sound sometimes, but not constantly 24/7
That's exactly what I thought it was at first and the sound is just like that of my old RC 27MHz cars, like some kid threw his remote into a toy box left on and some other toy is continuously pressing down a button.
The closest frequency is 27.145MHz for RC cars but this signal is on 27.150MHz. I guess it's close enough that it could be a remote, but the signal is quite strong around here and it seems to be coupling into nearby power lines, though that could be coincidence.

For fun I keyed up my radio a few times on the frequency just to see if it would have any effect. Maybe whatever device is causing this noise gets disrupted by my keyups :P
Makes me wonder if someone modified an RC car to control something else around their house and added on an antenna, or if it really is some chinesium junk device left turned on.
The Free Radio Forum

Offline Kage

• US
  • Modulating Madness
    • View Profile
    • The Free Radio Forum
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 1728 UTC »
Oooh just read this..
https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/files/uploaded_files/SumoBotsFAQs.pdf

"27 MHz has 6 major sub-frequencies. There are two standard ways to refer to these sub-frequencies:either by their frequency number or by their channel number. The subfrequencies for 27 MHz areChannel 1 (26.995 MHz), Channel 2 (27.045 MHz), Channel 3 (27.095 MHz), Channel 4 (27.145 MHz),Channel 5 (27.195 MHz), and Channel 6 (27.255 MHz). The FCC has recently added an additional 6sub-frequencies (channels 7 - 12). Channels 7 to 12 are really intermediate channels between 1 - 6 (forexample, channel 7 uses a frequency between the frequencies of channels 1 and 2). Only the mostmodern transmitters/receivers can use those channels without causing interference"

So maybe it really is some RC device, but damn does it splatter a few channels up and down CB ch16 >:(
The Free Radio Forum

Offline Leonard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 1938 UTC »
Maybe its a robot vacuum, it may not be finished in getting set up, so it is sending out a signal. There are alot of bargan no name vacuums made in china. It would be a surprise to me that they are working that low of a freq. From listening to sound, its more like an rc car or a door opener. 

Offline Kage

• US
  • Modulating Madness
    • View Profile
    • The Free Radio Forum
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 1601 UTC »
Maybe its a robot vacuum, it may not be finished in getting set up, so it is sending out a signal. There are alot of bargan no name vacuums made in china. It would be a surprise to me that they are working that low of a freq. From listening to sound, its more like an rc car or a door opener.
That would be funny if that is what it was.

Thankfully whatever was causing it mysteriously vanished the other day after I got fed up and keyed high power of my own over the same frequency a few times. The annoyance hasn't been back since (crossing fingers)  ;D
The Free Radio Forum

Offline 2WR3505

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 2202 UTC »
That would be funny if that is what it was.

Thankfully whatever was causing it mysteriously vanished the other day after I got fed up and keyed high power of my own over the same frequency a few times. The annoyance hasn't been back since (crossing fingers)  ;D

Somebody's rc car prolly took off across the room, lol

Offline m42duster

• Bremen, Ohio
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - m42duster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 2059 UTC »
I hear this same exact noise.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns