We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 107.7 FM Virginia House Radio - Richmond, VA 20 February 2020  (Read 1557 times)

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
Virginia House Radio continuing their usual programming on 107.7 FM in downtown Richmond Virginia.  Small bursts of QRM from 107.5 FM and 107.9 FM. 

WBQK on 107.9 MHz coming out of West Point, VA is doing 4 kW 328 feet HAAT / 305 feet AGL only 35 miles from downtown Richmond.   When the band is open, even marginally, I can hear another station or two mixing in on 107.9 MHz.   107.5 MHz has WNNT-FM (47 miles from Richmond at 6 kW, same height as WBQK) and WCHV-FM (65 miles away from the presumed Virginia House Radio transmitter site - only doing 210 watts ERP but their antenna is on top of a mountain, 259 feet above the mountain / AGL, 1109 feet (!!) AGL).

When it comes to 107.7 MHz itself, there are, unfortunately, three legal stations to contend with.  WWWT-FM (WTOP's 107.7 FM powerhouse, although their 44 kW transmitter on 103.5 FM out of Washington, D.C. also kills it....it's still a shame they got rid of the 1500 kHz facility and 1500 AM is now WFED - still, I can hear WFED on 1500 on a regular basis with factory Chevrolet and Toyota car radios into the sunrise hours during the winter without an issue.   

WETA on 90.9 FM gives WTOP on 103.5 FM / 107.7 FM a run for their money.  WETA 90.9 MHz FM is grandfathered in and does 75 kW from 456 feet AGL / 610 feet HAAT.  With my old sedan's "proper" FM antenna (a real 1/4 wave whip mounted on the fender - connected to a Pioneer receiver) I could hear WETA a solid 70 miles south of the transmitter location driving down I-95 towards Richmond. 

Anyway, WWWT-FM on 103.5 FM is doing 29 kW 80 miles almost due north, WMOV-FM out of Norfolk, VA doing 15 kW also 80 miles away, and WWDW-FM out of Alberta, VA, only 2.2 kW but around 55 miles to the south-south-west.  When the band is rolling, I can usually hear WTOP's audio mixing with WMOV and WWDW along with Virginia House Radio on 107.7 FM. 

Virginia House Radio's signal is excellent in the central business district (downtown downtown) area of downtown Richmond, I won't speculate as to their transmitter location but they must have at least some elevation.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 1354 UTC by R4002 »
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline whitenoize

• View Profile
Re: 107.7 FM Virginia House Radio - Richmond, VA 20 February 2020
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 0514 UTC »
I LOVE VA HOUSE RADIO. If you do you want speculate where it’s located, let me know  ;).
I’d love to find a way to send a donation. He deserves the world for his impeccable taste in bluegrass and (good) country.