We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: What are you using for SWLing?  (Read 10976 times)

Offline alpard

• View Profile
What are you using for SWLing?
« on: May 08, 2020, 1549 UTC »
What radios and antennas are you using?
What radios suit best for SWLing?

I am using a few vintage analogue SW Radios. These old radio still do the job, but analogue tuning scale means, it is very difficult to know what exact freq. I am listening on.  It is always rough guesstimate on the freq.  So when I was listening a station last night, and tonight trying to listen it again, it is very tricky to find the station unless the station is very strong in signal, which in many cases is very weak.

I wonder if modern and newer radios will be better in SWLing.
Would like to know what you guys are using for SWLing yourselves.
ICOM R71E, Lowe HF-225, YAESU FRG100, TECSUN PL-330, PL-320, XHDATA D-109, D-808, MSi001 SDR, AOR AR3030, Sangean ATS803, ATS-909X, Antenna= Random Wire+ATU, Active Miniwhip

https://twitter.com/RadioPax88
https://www.youtube.com/@RadioPax88/videos

Offline dxace1

• DXing Phenomena
  • Potomac MD
  • PLEASE eQSL to: dxace1@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What are you using for SWLing?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 1616 UTC »
Happy to help with advice but it's not too complicated since shortwave has reduced so much at this point.  Almost any quality portable will do for you.  There are many older tabletop receivers that can be obtained that are excellent such as Yaesu FRG-100, Kenwood R-1000 or R-2000.  Even Drake R8s (the original receiver Drake released in the 1990s are now available for low prices.  Antennas, I would recommend a loop such as the Chinese-made MLA-30+ or if you have more money, a Wellbrook or W6LVP loop.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 2358 UTC by dxace1 »
Dan in Potomac, MD (USA)  eQSL to:  dxace1@gmail.com

Receivers: Skanti R-8001, WJ 8718AMFP/8711A/8709/8712P, JRC NRD-630/301A/93, NRD-505/545/515, Drake R8/8B/SPR-4/R-7A, RFT EKD-515, ITT MacKay 3041A, McKay Dymek DR33-C6, AEG 1800/3, Racal RA-1792, Cubic 3280/2400, R&S EK-056/070/085/896/200, ICOM 71A/8500/8600/9000, Elad DuoR, AOR 7030, Lowe HF-250, Ten Tec RX-350, Yaesu FRG-8800/100, Collilns 51S-1

Online Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Tuned in, turned on with no drop out in Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 1642 UTC »
Alpard - I swear by my Tecsun PL 880 using 40 feet of long (copper) wire.  I don't have the exacting reception of higher end models, nor always the ability to receive everything with my antenna set up but it has been working for me.  I am receiving 95% of broadcasts in/around New England going by the blog posts. I will caution that I am in a rural area with little man made interference around and nothing of consequence between my qth and the saline Sound/Ocean 15 miles south.  I was going to check out one of the new Tecsun models this year as a possible upgrade but who knows when they come out at this point.

I likewise have several antique analog sets and have learned their "moods".  Once I receive a station on the PL 880, I'll figure out what older radio will give the broadcast its best sound quality and attempt to tune in on the most appropriate vintage receiver.  In my mind and to my ear, nothing is more pleasurable than a radio broadcast emanating from radio with a well made wooden cabinet (like an Ingraham cabinet). If it is USB, I'll go to the DX-160.  For music pirates on AM, the Zenith Console works very well.  X-FM and Radio Illumanti (and  relays) make my house sound like a concert hall when they transmit.  Governmental broadcasters (BBC, REE, Radio Habana) are great on the G-500.  My Emerson is delightful for domestic shortwave music stations (WBCQ, WRMI, WWCR).

By the way, welcome to the board.  Hope you enjoy and get to learn as much as the rest of us.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 1725 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline alpard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 1707 UTC »
Thanks DXAce and CT Yankee.  Great info and advice.
Yeah, I would be interested in what radios people are using these days for their SWLing since the market and tech has changed a lot, and also the SW band condition and the BC stations as well.

ICOM R71E, Lowe HF-225, YAESU FRG100, TECSUN PL-330, PL-320, XHDATA D-109, D-808, MSi001 SDR, AOR AR3030, Sangean ATS803, ATS-909X, Antenna= Random Wire+ATU, Active Miniwhip

Online Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Tuned in, turned on with no drop out in Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 1751 UTC »

I don't know where you are located but here's what I will listen (times mentioned are EST):
Weekends before 1000a - RNZ Music 5945
Various times Music - WWCR & WRMI see websites 9395, 9455, 9955, 7780, 5085, 5850, 5950, I especially enjoy Encore and VORW
NHK - early afternoon 11945 music
RFI - early afternoon 15300 music
REE - 600p MWF English Music Program (halted now due to covid)
Voice of Greece Greek Music 9420, after 2pm
CFRX 6070 - Mornings/Evenings for Canadian news
BBC - early afternoons on weekends, live soccer 15400, occasionally news
WBCQ - various programs: mainly 5130/7490 Le Show, Marion's Attic, Timtron, Lost Discs, Johnny Lightning - see their program schedule
Radio Habana Cuba - for music 11760/6000/15140. various times of day
Radio Nacional da Amazonia - 6180/11780 evenings for Brazilian music/soccer
HCJB Quito - 6050 mornings/evenings Andes music
Voice of Turkey - music/news see their website
Radio Romania - music/general program see their website
Radio Rebele - Music 5025 mornings
All India Radio is off air since pandemic, I listened to their music & news
Pirates - evenings AM/USB generally between 4055-4190, 5150-5170, 6870-6975

Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline alpard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 0815 UTC »
I am in UK, and SW band condition has been not best for a while. But still in the evening 9 -11Mhz and 6-7Mhz are filled with very strong BC stations.
I heard,

Voice of Turkey
Vatican International Radio
Radio Romania
CRI
Radio Korea
NHK

mostly on 9 - 10Mhz

I also listen to Amateur Radio on 14, 7 and 3.5 -3.8Mhz with my 1970s Heathkit GR-78 and Kenwood R820.
I just bought an old Sangean ATS-803A on eBay, and amwaiting that to arrive.
I look forward to adding it to my listening room.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 1135 UTC by alpard »

Offline kris

• Marconi Class DXer
  • N.Poland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 1010 UTC »
For centuries I listened only to analogue receivers (Elektromekano-M84, Icom PCR-1000). I saw a completely different HF world when I installed the SDR receiver.
The first was based on RTL2832U R820T2 controlled by HDSDR program. Enchantment began to pass as you learn how it works, but learning is invaluable for very little money. The main drawback is the weak 8 bit ADC converter (unsatisfactory dynamics produce many false signals), no bandpass filters, low sensitivity.
   A cheap SDR-FE-Play with an ADC12 bit converter appeared. It is a clone close to the RSP family.
Works wonderfully, controlled by the SDRuno program.I bought it for 81 US $.
It's worth starting a new life with this receiver.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32892743513.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dJYgAgD

RX888 ( SDR-FE-PLAY, HRD-747, Sony XDR-F1HD),
Ant. Sky Loop 180m 15m AGL, Sky Loop 120m 35m AGL
       + QRM X-phase eliminator
QTH:  N Poland  Ru/Sp/Gr/Sb=Russian,Spanish,Greek,Serbien
eQSL appreciated to: 13krzycho@gmail.com

Offline alpard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 1427 UTC »
For centuries I listened only to analogue receivers (Elektromekano-M84, Icom PCR-1000). I saw a completely different HF world when I installed the SDR receiver.
The first was based on RTL2832U R820T2 controlled by HDSDR program. Enchantment began to pass as you learn how it works, but learning is invaluable for very little money. The main drawback is the weak 8 bit ADC converter (unsatisfactory dynamics produce many false signals), no bandpass filters, low sensitivity.
   A cheap SDR-FE-Play with an ADC12 bit converter appeared. It is a clone close to the RSP family.
Works wonderfully, controlled by the SDRuno program.I bought it for 81 US $.
It's worth starting a new life with this receiver.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32892743513.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dJYgAgD

Are SDRs a lot better than the analogue receivers in reception performance? Can they hear the analogue receivers cannot hear?
How does the FE SDR compare to the SDRPlay?
In here, I have seen SDRPLay a few times for sale, but I didn't like the idea that the SDRs will take over my PC.

housecat

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 0021 UTC »
I got into shortwave initially with a cheap RTL-SDR and an upconverter.  It gave me a taste of shortwave but wasn't very good at all.  I'm now using another SDR, an Airspy HF+ now and get quite good results for my area.  I was using a random wire antenna for awhile, but now mostly use a DIY loop antenna.  I'm in an urban area with several AM broadcast stations close by, so I needed to throw two stage of AM broadcast filters in there before i really started getting decent DX.

I'm in California and most of the international signals I get are from Japan, China, Korea, and Vietnam.  Through some cosmic fluke I recently I picked up both BBC and Voice of Greece.

Offline alpard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 0807 UTC »
I got into shortwave initially with a cheap RTL-SDR and an upconverter.  It gave me a taste of shortwave but wasn't very good at all.  I'm now using another SDR, an Airspy HF+ now and get quite good results for my area.  I was using a random wire antenna for awhile, but now mostly use a DIY loop antenna.  I'm in an urban area with several AM broadcast stations close by, so I needed to throw two stage of AM broadcast filters in there before i really started getting decent DX.

I'm in California and most of the international signals I get are from Japan, China, Korea, and Vietnam.  Through some cosmic fluke I recently I picked up both BBC and Voice of Greece.

Are the AM broadcast filters included in the SDR radio? or is it something that you have to implement from outwit the SDR?
How are the performance comparison between your random wire and DIY loop?

They all seem great HF DX work from where you are.

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2020, 2357 UTC »
I have a few SW receivers but my Yaesu Frg-7700 is still my favorite analog radio. I picked it up on EBAY (they are frequently for sale there)  for a $167 bid and have picked up stations from the Caribbean to New Zealand using only an Alpha Delta full Sloper antenna.  I still smile each time I power up the "Frog".
For what its worth, keep in mind that there are a lot of "moving parts" to shortwave DX'ng, i.e. weather, time of day, solar activity, seasonal fluctuations, etc etc so don't get discouraged if you don't get "all the hits all the time".   Enjoy the hunt - its all part of the fun.

Good to see some newbies posting here !
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

housecat

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2020, 0023 UTC »
Are the AM broadcast filters included in the SDR radio? or is it something that you have to implement from outwit the SDR?

The AM broadcast filters are external.  I had originally built my own, but I like these nooelec ones linked below.  I think the two listed are the exact same board, just one has a nicer shell.

I haven't really done enough A/B testing between the two antennas to compare performance.  When I'm using the random wire, I wind up sitting in my garage with feedline out the door and into my yard.  With the loop antenna, I can be inside my house, so I've been using that basically since I built it.  I should really do some proper testing over several days.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=nooelec+am+filter&ref=nb_sb_noss

Offline alpard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2020, 0846 UTC »
I have a few SW receivers but my Yaesu Frg-7700 is still my favorite analog radio. I picked it up on EBAY (they are frequently for sale there)  for a $167 bid and have picked up stations from the Caribbean to New Zealand using only an Alpha Delta full Sloper antenna.  I still smile each time I power up the "Frog".
For what its worth, keep in mind that there are a lot of "moving parts" to shortwave DX'ng, i.e. weather, time of day, solar activity, seasonal fluctuations, etc etc so don't get discouraged if you don't get "all the hits all the time".   Enjoy the hunt - its all part of the fun.

Good to see some newbies posting here !

Such contrasting reviews on FRG7700. Some people seem like it very much, and rave about it. But some seem not too keen on it due to insensitivity and the selectivity is too wide?
I was always wanting to try the FRG7700 and 8800 out, but somehow never came across to them yet in my possession yet.

Recently I am using the Realistic DX-392 and very rare MINIX MR-73B, and they seem good performers too.  I don't like the DX-392 muting while tuning for a signal, and also beeping noise when going over to the next band during tuning around.  But the receiver itself is excellent performer, and very pleasant to listen to especially on the SSB and CW.

Thanks for the info and advice. 73
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 1536 UTC by alpard »

Offline alpard

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2020, 0847 UTC »

The AM broadcast filters are external.  I had originally built my own, but I like these nooelec ones linked below.  I think the two listed are the exact same board, just one has a nicer shell.

I haven't really done enough A/B testing between the two antennas to compare performance.  When I'm using the random wire, I wind up sitting in my garage with feedline out the door and into my yard.  With the loop antenna, I can be inside my house, so I've been using that basically since I built it.  I should really do some proper testing over several days.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=nooelec+am+filter&ref=nb_sb_noss

Thanks for your info. Yeah would look forward to your testing results here. 73

Offline kris

• Marconi Class DXer
  • N.Poland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2020, 2000 UTC »
    Alpard /  Are SDRs a lot better than the analogue receivers in reception performance? Can they hear the analogue receivers cannot hear?
How does the FE SDR compare to the SDRPlay?
In here, I have seen SDRPLay a few times for sale, but I didn't like the idea that the SDRs will take over my PC.

See numerous publications offered by the SDR receiver and you will be amazed by the possibilities of this receiving technique. The I / Q data stream gives amazing signal processing capabilities> HF selectivity, notch filters, HF and audio waterfall , and dozens of control options.
   Buy a receiver with an ADC converter not less than 12 bit, decimation function will raise it for you.
Input bandpass filters improve the removal of false signals, but you also need an LNA amplifier and attenuator.
The computer is your friend, you will appreciate waterfal and programs decoding various modulations, recording and many facilities. The SDR receiver can also work on a tablet, phone, Raspbery!
    One day you have to grow out of "shorts".
 Courage!
- A good antenna that matches your capabilities is important: magnetic loop, Sky Loop, T2FD vertically hung, Beverage.
- Leave an analog receiver to verify what you hear on the SDR.
    Good luck in tinkering!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 2021 UTC by kris »
RX888 ( SDR-FE-PLAY, HRD-747, Sony XDR-F1HD),
Ant. Sky Loop 180m 15m AGL, Sky Loop 120m 35m AGL
       + QRM X-phase eliminator
QTH:  N Poland  Ru/Sp/Gr/Sb=Russian,Spanish,Greek,Serbien
eQSL appreciated to: 13krzycho@gmail.com