We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Why is the World Health Organisation Anti-Meat?  (Read 4847 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline syfr

• View Profile
Re: Why is the World Health Organisation Anti-Meat?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 1701 UTC »
Other than because they're an international leftist organization?  8)
Kiwsdr x 2. TenTec Paragon/NRD535

Offline Charlie_Dont_Surf

• Charlie's Point, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 1802 UTC »
Other than because they're an international leftist organization?  8)

Eyeroll.
I don't STRETCH the truth.

"Every minute I spend in this room, my signal gets weaker.
Every minute Charlie squats in the bush, his signal gets stronger."

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 0316 UTC »
And, apparently raising farm animals adds to the so-called 'Greenhouse Gases' when they fart. Last year, didn't you hear about the dangers of cow farts?
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 1208 UTC »
And, apparently raising farm animals adds to the so-called 'Greenhouse Gases' when they fart. Last year, didn't you hear about the dangers of cow farts?

Interesting factoid, the current population of cattle in the US is almost exactly the same as the historic Bison population.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 1419 UTC »
Based on what we have witnessed lately,  the "experts" aren't.
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 1511 UTC »

There's certainly many health benefits to exercise, but prior to the 70s, few routinely exercised in an effort to lose weight. In fact there's a saying "You can't outrun a bad diet".

Check out photos and films from turn of the century to the 50s and 60s, most of the population was thin. Or what we would call thin today, they were of normal weight. And what today passes for normal was called fat back then. What changed in the 1970s? The misguided attempt to reduce heart disease by telling people to cut their fat intake and eat more carbohydrates (and therefore sugar, both directly and in the form of carbs that your body converts into sugar). The same photos and films will show one of the major causes of the increase in heart disease back then - smoking. We've fortunately reduced smoking rates, but unfortunately replaced it with high sugar intake, which also leads to heart disease.

One of my other interests is genealogy. I found WWI and WWII draft cards for my grandfathers, as well as some great grandfathers, uncles, etc who were the same height at me (5'8"). Interestingly enough most of them weighed 135 pounds. Both in their 30s and in their 50s. This gave me a goal weight. I'm not quite there yet, about 138 pounds now.

You cannot use current height weight tables, as they have been adjusted to reflect what the (generally overweight) population currently weighs.

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 1604 UTC »

There's certainly many health benefits to exercise, but prior to the 70s, few routinely exercised in an effort to lose weight. In fact there's a saying "You can't outrun a bad diet".

Check out photos and films from turn of the century to the 50s and 60s, most of the population was thin. Or what we would call thin today, they were of normal weight. And what today passes for normal was called fat back then. What changed in the 1970s? The misguided attempt to reduce heart disease by telling people to cut their fat intake and eat more carbohydrates (and therefore sugar, both directly and in the form of carbs that your body converts into sugar). The same photos and films will show one of the major causes of the increase in heart disease back then - smoking. We've fortunately reduced smoking rates, but unfortunately replaced it with high sugar intake, which also leads to heart disease.

One of my other interests is genealogy. I found WWI and WWII draft cards for my grandfathers, as well as some great grandfathers, uncles, etc who were the same height at me (5'8"). Interestingly enough most of them weighed 135 pounds. Both in their 30s and in their 50s. This gave me a goal weight. I'm not quite there yet, about 138 pounds now.

You cannot use current height weight tables, as they have been adjusted to reflect what the (generally overweight) population currently weighs.

Was recently on the internet viewing some old (60s) music performances with go-go girls gyrating in the background.
One of the comments posted below said "haven't seen women with figures like that in over four decades".

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 1635 UTC »
Have always worked in a trade that required physical activity and always got lots of exercise outside of work.
However, over the years my weight crept up to 175 lbs.  Last year started cutting back on the carbs and increased my intake of meat.
My weight has dropped to 155 lbs., almost back to my boot camp weight of 150 lbs. 

Fansome

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2020, 1938 UTC »
Wait, did someone say "Go-Gos"?

Was recently on the internet viewing some old (60s) music performances with go-go girls gyrating in the background.
One of the comments posted below said "haven't seen women with figures like that in over four decades".

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2020, 1327 UTC »

I’ve noticed the same difference between people in films from the early 20th century and today.  I agree that all of those factors played a role.  The other thing (as you mentioned) was that almost everyone smoked.  Smoking depresses the appetite...which also factors into the equation.

I think that it isn’t any one thing but a combination of increased sedentariness, more carbs, and smoking cessation that has resulted in the obesity problem.  A perfect storm.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 1328 UTC by NJQA »

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2020, 1548 UTC »
So where does one get the realistic BMI table?

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline KaySeeks

• DX Legend
  • Quebec. Vive la différence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2020, 0838 UTC »
What changed in the 1970s? The misguided attempt to reduce heart disease by telling people to cut their fat intake and eat more carbohydrates (and therefore sugar, both directly and in the form of carbs that your body converts into sugar). The same photos and films will show one of the major causes of the increase in heart disease back then - smoking. We've fortunately reduced smoking rates, but unfortunately replaced it with high sugar intake, which also leads to heart disease.

You're not wrong about the old photos, the lower BMIs, and smoking.

I would suggest, however, to not neglect the effects of a much more passive lifestyle, the fewer and fewer % of the population involved in labour-intensive industries like agriculture as the late 19th century moved into the early half of the century. In North America anyway, significantly larger food portion sizes that have become the norm and significantly more time is spent in motor vehicles on a daily basis as well.
Just somebody with a radio, a computer and a pair of headphones...

Offline OgreVorbis

• View Profile
    • DosaidSoft
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2020, 1913 UTC »
Because the world health organization is funded by eugenicists. It has nothing to do with health and all to do with money and power. I know this forum is not for debates, so I'll just leave it here and not follow up.
Radio and Programming Blog: http://dosaidsoft.com/wp/

Under30

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2020, 1821 UTC »
I think it's basically that there's just not enough meat around to feed everyone.