We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Spoof numbers stations, 6210 kHz, USB, 2020 UTC, April 06, 2012  (Read 840 times)

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Hello all,

Going to put this in the Pirates section, since I rather suspect it belongs here ;)

A “numbers” sounding station was heard on 6210 kHz USB starting about 2020 UTC today (April 06, 2012).  It was alittle suspect right from the get-go, the “buzzer” noises combined with the 00000 at the end, and letters sent, kind of had a minor smell to them.

The same message was apparently sent twice.

I have partial recordings of both the first and second messages.  Unfortunately all of my recorders were busy on other tasks until I realized this was something worth recording, even if just for the funny factor.  So, although I heard the entire second transmission I did not record the CVY callup.

The tail end of the first transmission is here:
http://token_radio.home.mchsi.com/Odd_Letters_6210_USB_04062012_2029_rem.mp3

The second transmission I go t most of.  I started recording right after the last “Charlie Victor Yankee” was sent.  The tones heard are part of the transmission, and I believe the recording captured them all.
http://token_radio.home.mchsi.com/Odd_Letters_6210_USB_04062012_2035_rem.mp3

Both of the above transmissions were recorded by me using a Perseus remote in northern Germany.  However, I also tuned it in with a Perseus remote in Greece, and it was heard there, although less strong.  Those were the only two I had time to try.

Supposedly the message has been cracked using Cryptool, and the results are pretty clear that it is a spoof/fake.

T!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 2142 UTC by Token »
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA