We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: This is why you should disconnect your antenna during a storm  (Read 1612 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
An LED (Light Emitting Diode) connected across the coax transmission line from my 635 ft sky loop antenna, during a thunderstorm. You can see the LED flashing with the lightning strikes.

[youtube]4KBTzwhyr3o[/youtube]

This is why you should disconnect your antenna during a storm.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

cmradio

Re: This is why you should disconnect your antenna during a storm
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 0940 UTC »
Very cool demonstration!

Funny you post this today... I just bought a bag of little gas discharge tubes from fleabay to put across my radio terminals (RX and TX), considering the storm season approaching.

Peace!

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
Re: This is why you should disconnect your antenna during a storm
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 1539 UTC »
From what I've read, a lightning strike as much as a mile away can be enough to off your unprotected radio from the charge it'll put into your antenna.

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums