We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: RPi based ham radio wall clock  (Read 1689 times)

Offline IQ_imbalance

• Central MD
    • View Profile
RPi based ham radio wall clock
« on: June 19, 2020, 2327 UTC »
LOG/NE-SW unterminated BOG/DJ-130/800Mhz Yagi
AFEDRI SDR-Net ICF-SC1 SDS-200 various RTL-SDR
Central MD

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile
Re: RPi based ham radio wall clock
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 1136 UTC »
I’ve had this running for a week.  This was written up in the October 2017 issue of QST.

The Tom’s HW link is a little confusing.  It talks about a RTL SDR connected to the Pi when this has nothing to do with the clock.

Go to the author’s site for better info:
http://www.clearskyinstitute.com/ham/HamClock/

Offline IQ_imbalance

• Central MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 1439 UTC »
I didn’t notice this was from CSI. I know them from xephem, which is an awesome cross platform  astronomy program.

That said...I wish I could justify buying a real geochron.  Those things are just iconic.  They make a cheaper black box version that you plug into a monitor, but the mechanical version is just awesome.
LOG/NE-SW unterminated BOG/DJ-130/800Mhz Yagi
AFEDRI SDR-Net ICF-SC1 SDS-200 various RTL-SDR
Central MD

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 1200 UTC »
Gigaparts is selling a prepackaged version of this clock for an insane amount of money ($300).  You are starting to get into the realm of the Geochron cost.  Much cheaper to role your own...

https://www.gigaparts.com/veritium-hfclock-pi.html

BTW, one of the local hams made a similar comment about CSI’s astronomy software.  He said they produce good products.