We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Things that make you go, hmmmmm...  (Read 458 times)

Offline chanito

• S.Texas
  • RF Exposeur
    • View Profile
    • Email
Things that make you go, hmmmmm...
« on: June 30, 2020, 2029 UTC »
Picked up on this application for a DRM international shortwave station. Why "hmmmm"?
[/size]
[/size]I've wondered, and please, if anyone knows the real answer let me know, but the WINB DRM broadcast uses only half of the occupied bandwidth for audio. When you look at the signal on a panadaptor, the lower sideband is a bunch of not decodable carriers that are seemingly not related to the upper sideband information which can be decoded to audio.
[/size]
[/size]A while back I read about companies proposing to use point to point HF links to eliminate the internet lag in stock trading. They would place these HF link stations near major hubs to give an advantage in split second transactions. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-17/companies-pitch-shortwave-radio-to-shave-milliseconds-off-trades
[/size]
[/size]Back to our story..  The interesting part is Exhibit V-5 where it states there is to be a DRM modulator and a separate Datacasting modulator. This appears to be a way to skirt the rules and do a [/color] point-to-point, encrypted data transmission in the International Broadcast Service slots under the guise of a religious broadcaster. And the proposed site is close to the CME Data Center.[/size][/color][/size]But yet... Here Be Pirates!![/color]
PCR-1000, PCR-1500, RSP1A, RSP1, VR-120D, HDT-1, Accurian HD, Royal 3000
Caras HF-315, Belar LP-1A, SuperAntenna MP-1, RatShack 20-043 discone, MLA-30, 100' wire