We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Voice of Captain Ron 6930  (Read 1000 times)

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
Voice of Captain Ron 6930
« on: April 19, 2012, 0212 UTC »
4/19/12, 6930 USB, 0156z: Music I can't identify - very thin, pinched audio and hard to tune to pitch.
0210z: Voice of Captain Ron ID, chat with someone in the studio.  Still very difficult to copy.  Sounds more like a recording than live.
0214z: Oops, I'm wrong, it's live.  Captain Ron shout out to me on "Wacky Wednesday".  Signal coming up a bit better here.
0222z: CR talking about "apparatus ... compromise", can't quite copy all but sounds like reference to gear for tonight's broadcast.  "Looking forward to making it better within the means we have available... that's what happens when you launch out into the deep... keep broadcasting as long as we can..."
0228z: "Bender checking in as well (from) Arizona..."
0235z: Roller coaster peaks/fades via home receiver, but still stronger overall than via east coast SDR.
0239z: Ah, explaining show has been combination of pre-recorded and live material "from a little over a decade or so".  Thanks, Cap'n Ron, coming in much better here at home now.
0250z: Chatter about Yaesu FT-101 and Heathkit transmitters.
0255z: Shout out to Jolly Roger, logging on HFU.
0306z: Asking listeners what receivers they're using.  Tonight I'm on the Palstar R30C with an RF Systems EMF indoor antenna strung along the ceiling.  (My latest fugloop is optimized for MW rather than shortwave.)  For whatever reason the EMF works best in the 6000-8000 kHz range with only the center conductor connected to the Lo-Z input on the receiver.  When the antenna is connected "properly" with the shield connected to ground it just raises the noise without improving the signal.  The trick is to coil up the excess coax feedline to reduce common mode noise, maybe a dozen loops coiled in about 4" diameter.  Some folks call it an "ugly balun".
0310z: Mentioned my receiver setup, and Bender's NRD-545.
0326z: Red Hot Chili Peps
0335z: Playing one more song before signing off.  Chili Peps "Otherside"
Shout out from Turtlehead Radio to Captain Ron at end of broadcast.

Thanks for the show, Cap'n Ron, enjoy hearing you chat about the hobby!

Also trying a web tuner SDR with proper outdoor antenna on the east coast.  Signal strength flip-flopping between home on the indoor antenna and the east coast SDR - as of 0220z, much stronger here at home.

Will have off-air recording uploaded to archive later.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 0525 UTC by Lex »
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline Jolly Roger

• View Profile
Re: Voice of Captain Ron 6930
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 0243 UTC »
Reasonable S-3 copy tonite into northern Canada. Always a pleasure to hear the Cap'n!
Please QSL to MaplRadio@gmail.com

Next weeks contest: guess how many Volkswagons can fit in Joy Behars mouth. I pick five.

If Rosie O'Donnell jumps in the water Rosie doesn't get wet, the water gets ugly.

Icom R9000 (yes, a R9000!)
Pixel magnetic loop

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns