We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: End fed SWL sloper (Grounding?)  (Read 873 times)

Matt285

End fed SWL sloper (Grounding?)
« on: July 10, 2020, 1549 UTC »
Folks using antennas such as the Alpha Delta or Par End fed SWL slopers. Do you ground the antenna? I don't think I would buy one, but I'm thinking about rigging up a 9:1 balun and 45' of wire to try out. Thanks

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
Re: End fed SWL sloper (Grounding?)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 0907 UTC »
Got a couple of the PARs here and neither one has a ground attached.  Never experimented with adding a ground
so cannot comment on how they might perform with a ground.  They worked fine right out of the box.
Only modification was doubling the length of one of them... it seemed to improve AM BCB DX performance.
Built several of my own 50' antennas with homemade 9:1 baluns and never got the broadband performance that the PARs provide.
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: End fed SWL sloper (Grounding?)
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 1519 UTC »
Coincidentally, I have been doing some modeling of a terminated sloper, if you carefully adjust the height and angle you can get a relatively nice directional pattern with a low elevation angle, but only over a narrow frequency range, say one band.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree