We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Curious  (Read 2719 times)

Offline fpeconsultant

• DX Legend
  • I miss "Up Against the Wall Radio"...
    • View Profile
    • Email
Curious
« on: July 21, 2020, 1448 UTC »
What is with the large number (and seemingly growing number) of "UNID" pirates lately?  It's one thing if they do ID but copy is poor so the ID can't be confirmed, but many seem to never ID at all.
Doesn't make sense - kind of like posting an anonymous comment on a news website (keyboard tough guy syndrome).  What's the point of broadcasting and risking getting "the knock" if there's no notoriety associated with it.....?
Maybe I'm just old and recall the Pirates of yesteryear who were proud to be well known yet smart enough to not get busted.  Maybe it's the new generation of pirates but it seems pointless to me.
FPE
Near Chicago, IL USA.  Drake R8, Ten-Tec RX340, JRC NRD545, Watkins Johnson HF-1000, Wellbrook loop at 28', 43m inverted vee.  Please QSL to fpeconsultant@aol.com thanks.

Offline Kingbear Radio

• Universe
  • Kingbear Radio
    • View Profile
Re: Curious
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 0314 UTC »
I wonder about that too, going by the books about stations, they had amazing stories and strong identities, like they were real brands, down to the QSL cards. Could it be a form of postmodernism?

And now there's SSTV to ID stations, so dj's might not feel like saying much. I would use a text to speech app, some are pretty clear right now, and there are Alexa voices!
K-Bear Radio

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 0535 UTC »
The other thing is that they are tests, where someone just TX's and uses various on-line SDR's to actually see if they are getting out to various regions. I guess that beats calling a friend, or relative, DX'er that's out of state, or out of country, to see if they are getting out.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Rob.

• View Profile
    • N1NTE KiwiSDR online
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 1437 UTC »
Without giving away any details, I indirectly know of at least one person who runs reoccurring broadcasts to test their setup and listens to it on my SDR. Since it isn't intended for listeners he doesn't ID as he is setting audio levels, etc. And testing has gone on for a long time without (to my knowledge) any "real" broadcast.

I also know that some people are mic shy and would rather ID by other means SSTV (which becomes a sort of QSL card) or no ID at all. I don't think there is a way to categorize pirates into conforming to a particular on-air format which is why most pirate do what they do.
- Rob

CT/MA border
Email: n1nte.rob@gmail.com
KiwiSDR (x4) online - http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8073/
ΣSDR Blog - https://n1nte.blogspot.com/

Offline fpeconsultant

• DX Legend
  • I miss "Up Against the Wall Radio"...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 0037 UTC »
"Mic shy".  I guess......
FPE
Near Chicago, IL USA.  Drake R8, Ten-Tec RX340, JRC NRD545, Watkins Johnson HF-1000, Wellbrook loop at 28', 43m inverted vee.  Please QSL to fpeconsultant@aol.com thanks.

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 2344 UTC »
I think they are rather less likely to get bused with no IDing.  In such a case, the FCC would have to do a full DF just to identify the station each time it was on the air-- instead of knowing that "this is station X, which we have previously DFed to X area..."

With no ID and no "personality" to the station, there would seem little point for the FCC to try to chase after them.  They have enough to do already.

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline WWBR

• Somewhere in the Great Lakes
  • WWBR Worldwide Basement Radio, WILD
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 2204 UTC »
I figured I'd chime in here...

I have been doing a LOT of testing lately, mostly at low power <10w. All my gear is pretty ancient, takes a lot of tweaking. It's not uncommon for something to start smoking during a broadcast due to it's age. Then, it's down to the bench, repair the unit, and start over. And what sounds like good processing on AM can sound plain dreadful on SSB, and vice versa. If I'm not just doing a short test, such as after a repair job, I try to fire a liner off now and then.

As for live shows... I've done a few, but COVID has really messed up my voice. I'm really hoping it improves, because my voice sounds like it aged 25 years since getting sick in late Feb. The low registers are totally gone now, and it's just plain rough. I played back an SDR recording someone sent me, and I'm like, "do I *really* sound that awful now?" I think if my voice got any worse, I'd sound like Brother Stare.

So, if I'm on and just playing music, it's probably not that I don't *want* to do a live show, it's that I simply do not feel well enough. I can't believe this crap has been so rough for FIVE months, and I *still* have a good day for every 7 bad ones. Wifey has been through the same, although she is probably back to 90% now, I'm still around 60% because of liver and heart issues. Somehow, we both dodged the pneumonia bullet from this, maybe because we both had pneumonia boosters in November.
Grundig Satellit 800 ME with 35' sloper
Realistic DX440 with random wire
Realistic DX120 with random wire
Various vintage Portables
Transmitter: Yaesu FT757GX
Inverted V, mounted 20' above a chainlink fence, N to S
Comments and reception reports welcome.
eQSL to radio.boogie@protonmail.com

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 0631 UTC »
Dang, sorry to hear about that Boogie. I've read about the lingering effects COVID19 has on some people. Let's hope yours don't linger for much longer.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline WWBR

• Somewhere in the Great Lakes
  • WWBR Worldwide Basement Radio, WILD
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2020, 2347 UTC »
Thank you, MDK2.

Today, I'm feeling the best I have in months, not as well as I'd like, but this day has brought the least of the fatigue and pain. I'm hoping it is finally getting better. The fatigue has been the worst part, literally many days where just sitting in here tinkering with radio stuff is "too much", days when I wondered why I even forced myself out of bed. Generally, every single day for months, sometime in late afternoon, the fatigue would hit, like having a 75 pound weighted blanket dropped on me out of nowhere. Today is the second day I haven't had that happen, and I *really* hope this is permanent. But you never know, because symptoms come in waves for a few days. Really screwy, just plain weird virus, I'll tell you. I can only hope I'm over it for good, fingers crossed.
Grundig Satellit 800 ME with 35' sloper
Realistic DX440 with random wire
Realistic DX120 with random wire
Various vintage Portables
Transmitter: Yaesu FT757GX
Inverted V, mounted 20' above a chainlink fence, N to S
Comments and reception reports welcome.
eQSL to radio.boogie@protonmail.com

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2020, 1638 UTC »
YW, Boogie.

Back to the general topic at hand, sometimes UNID stations *are* ID'd, but after the original poster stopped listening and without correction from any of the pirate board's numerous moderators. I guess they don't ever go back and see what was logged afterward.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2020, 1932 UTC »
Lot of folk, me included, just chuck a fave album on or a mix of tunes. To get an ID on there involves audio editing, mixing, microphones, compression etc etc and bet they don't know how or can't be bothered. I'm in the latter camp. Only ID I'd use is the 'Image in the waterfall' thing..

Sure if I was a bit more 'serious' I fire up the desk and do a proper job... One day...

Str.
'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)