We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 1410WHLW AM???  (Read 1354 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
1410WHLW AM???
« on: August 01, 2020, 2214 UTC »
        Friday night, 01:30UTC, I listened to where 1410 WSCW would be. It's been off-air since the X3 thunder storms on Monday night, so a fairly free MW FREQ to DX. In between the Top 40 70's and 80's mono-toned tunage selection, I thought that I heard the promo of "1410WHLW". I even wrote that down. However, trying to look it up, it only comes up as a gospel FM station,    104.3FM in Luverne, AL. So, I either heard that wrong, or something isn't updated? Eh????   
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
Re: 1410WHLW AM???
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 2355 UTC »
T, whats your QTH?
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 0957 UTC »
Hmmm...  this is a strange one.  Some AM stations have the annoying habit of IDing with the call letters of a sister FM station but it looks like WLHW-FM has no companion AM station.
However, there is a WHLN AM 1410 located in Harlan KY.  It only runs 41 watts at night but it is only about 140 miles away from WSCW in WVA.
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 0434 UTC »
Answer to East Troy Don, Southern WV, near the Capital Region. As far as me hearing 1410WHLW promo on the truck stereo? I'll have to listen again on the evening drive to work. 1410 WSCW has been down all week now, and if they follow the priority and pattern of other AM stations that have littered the FM band with their FM translator counter parts, they will not be in a hurry to get it back up. It's not like that station is LM Communications bread & butter. (And, I suspect that I'm pretty safe to assume this.)
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 2158 UTC »
A possibility is WRTZ out of Roanoke.  It transmits its classical / oldies format at night at 72 watts omni-directionally but its only about 120 miles from your location.

Just a thought.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 2204 UTC by East Troy Don »
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: 1410WHLW AM??? Won't know now.
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 0530 UTC »
OMG!!!! 1410WSCW is actually back on-air tonight! Wholly freakin' kow! And, it only took them 9 days to get that back on. Anyway, the night before I did DX that 1410kHz KY station, and I suspect that I'm right about that since I heard a promo for Kentucky Sports coverage. OFW, it was interesting DX'ing that FREQ, while it lasted.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns