We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Anatomy of MSQ NDB in Virginia  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
  • Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    • View Profile
    • Email
Anatomy of MSQ NDB in Virginia
« on: August 27, 2020, 2207 UTC »
Aviation LF/MF beacons provide an opportunity to admire electrically-small antenna design on a macroscopic scale.  The article includes a photographic survey plus electrical analysis correlating with some field measurements of the 351 kHz MSQ beacon in Virginia... https://www.hamradio.me/antennas/anatomy-of-a-low-frequency-aviation-radio-beacon.html
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson
eQSL appreciated KC2ZYL@gmail.com

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anatomy of MSQ NDB in Virginia
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 2313 UTC »
Thanks for the post, tw!

At 940 km from me, MSQ is generally an easy log during the season.  Nice always to see what I am hearing.
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
Re: Anatomy of MSQ NDB in Virginia
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 0304 UTC »
TNX for the post, nice write up and pics.

Have logged MSQ but YKQ Fort Rupert QC usually dominates the 351 spot on the dial here in MI.

btw... my XYL is quite familiar with sudden diversions while cruising the countryside when an interesting
tower comes into view,  and she knows what a NDB site looks like  8)
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan