We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: RIP R.F. Burns & Radio Clandestine  (Read 8275 times)

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
RIP R.F. Burns & Radio Clandestine
« on: May 09, 2012, 0125 UTC »
This was one of the first pirates that I remember hearing on shortwave back in the 1980s.  Hearing Clandestine really made an impression and probably contributed greatly to my interest in listening to shortwave pirates.  I was secretly hoping RC would return to the air someday with new material, but sadly this won't be the case.

From a comment posted on YouTube:

For those who didn't know, R.F. Burns was Christopher Lowell Murdock, WA1HOD. Chris is now silent key as of Feb. 2012...he was a longtime personal friend, and is greatly missed. =:-(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq4HWdccflI

Apologies if this is "old news", but I don't remember hearing anything about it.
PLS QSL kilokat7(at)gmail.com
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
1980s pirate off-air archive
West Michigan DX

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: RIP R.F. Burns & Radio Clandestine
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 0228 UTC »
Very sad.  Like you, one of the first I heard.

Thanks for the video Kilokat7.

Here's a link to a show I recorded in 1983:   http://www.mediafire.com/?u8jidz2hdb4jkt4

Pardon the static, but it's a great show...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 1303 UTC by jFarley »
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 1026 UTC »
Wow! That's a shocker. He disappeared off a radio site both of us frequented awhile back,but I figured it was out of boredom?

RIP Chris.

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 0138 UTC »
Sorry to hear this, those were some really imaginative programs.

Reminds me, I got a weird message a couple of years ago from the fellow who used to post here on HFU as "RF Burnz".  He claimed he was the same "RF Burns" of Radio Clandestine.  If so, that's the same fellow who used to post as "Beans" on the FRN - he'd just copypasta his logs verbatim as Beans on the FRN and RF Burnz on HFU, but he never logged anything but WBNY.

Any idea if this really was the same RF Burns?
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 1523 UTC »

Uh, no.  If the RF Burns on this board was the same character as the FRN's "Beans", we all know who that character was, he's as much as admitted it--- a certain rabid rabbit also known by another fake name, 'Pat Murphy'.

I had the same claim made to me by the sockpuppet "Lovemyradios", when he was trying to pump me for TCS schedule information after the FCC bust, but before the public announcement of it....

So, when Commander Bunny/Pat Murphy's various sockpuppets claimed to be the RF Burns of Radio Clandestine, they were LYING!   Who'd have thunk it?!  (Well, actually, the thought did cross my mind...)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 1526 UTC by John Poet »

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 1817 UTC »
Technically the fellow I'm thinking of used the moniker "RF Burnz" with a "z".

Since he's dead hopefully he won't mind my posting his reply here when I asked privately back in November 2010 if he was the same RF Burns of Radio Clandestine fame:

Yes, I'm the same guy.  Must say, I find the FRN much more to my liking than this board.  Appears that Fansome runs the board and makes the majority of the posts.  Then when caught in a bold faced lie, people make excuses for him.  If that is humor to you, then we part ways.

I was a little miffed about that, though I didn't say so at the time.  I have way more posts here than Fansome.  Fansome gets all the glory just because he's the psychopomp of pirate radio.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline zackers

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 1944 UTC »
I always wondered who "R. F. Burns" was. Now we know, just like we found out a few years ago who "Larson E. Rapp WIOU" was after he passed away.

R.I.P. Mr. "Burns."
East Central Illinois
TS-850S, 40 meter full-wave loop, various dipoles

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 0121 UTC »
Very sad.  Like you, one of the first I heard.

Thanks for the video Kilokat7.

Here's a link to a show I recorded in 1983:   http://www.mediafire.com/?u8jidz2hdb4jkt4

Pardon the static, but it's a great show...

Thanks jFarley - enjoyed listening to that clip.  Thanks for sharing that.
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
West Michigan DX

Fansome

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 0614 UTC »
I had not seen this. Now it seems to me that Mr. Burnz was much more perceptive than I had had given him credit for.

Technically the fellow I'm thinking of used the moniker "RF Burnz" with a "z".

Since he's dead hopefully he won't mind my posting his reply here when I asked privately back in November 2010 if he was the same RF Burns of Radio Clandestine fame:

Appears that Fansome runs the board and makes the majority of the posts.

I was a little miffed about that, though I didn't say so at the time.  I have way more posts here than Fansome.  Fansome gets all the glory just because he's the psychopomp of pirate radio.

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 1659 UTC »
Thanks Kilokat for the post - I hadn't heard this either.  And thanks for the 1983 clip Mr. Farley.  It WAS a great show.  My earliest tapes of RC are from the late 80s. 

RF Burns truly was one of the early "greats" and was larger than life to many of us.  He was one of my main inspirations for getting off my ass, overcoming all the technical obstacles, and putting my own shows on shortwave.  One of the biggest thrills I've had in life was when I tentatively answered his call out to other ops after one of his shows in 88 or 89.  I nearly crapped myself when he came back to me.  We traded jokes and audio clips for about half an hour.  Back then that stuff was never done - too much Fed activity.  That QSO with my mentor will remain a cherished memory with me for the rest of my life. 

Wanda Lust, Drool the Cabin Boy, and yes, it IS pronounced CLAN-de-styne!  You've sailed on now Chris, but your creations will live on in our hearts.  Rest that awesome voice well, and 73...
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 0140 UTC »
RF Burns truly was one of the early "greats" and was larger than life to many of us.  He was one of my main inspirations for getting off my ass, overcoming all the technical obstacles, and putting my own shows on shortwave.  One of the biggest thrills I've had in life was when I tentatively answered his call out to other ops after one of his shows in 88 or 89.  I nearly crapped myself when he came back to me.  We traded jokes and audio clips for about half an hour.  Back then that stuff was never done - too much Fed activity.  That QSO with my mentor will remain a cherished memory with me for the rest of my life.  

Very cool story ff!  

Here's another Radio Clandestine show that I caught on tape on September 26th, 1987 way down on 3445 KHz:

Radio Clandestine 26SE87

Enjoy
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
West Michigan DX

Offline Sealord

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • North East Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 1028 UTC »
Caught this one back in the 90's, but didn't log the time/freq:

http://archive.org/download/ShortwavePirateRadio/RadioClandestine90s.mp3
Indoors: WR-G33DDC & TT RX-340_DX Eng. 4-Square Array / Outdoors: Belka-DX_Whip / Poolside: SMC HF-150_MMD-40 (D.O.G.) / Off Air/Studio Recordings