We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Radio Jay's AM & FM Mega Shootout 2020 Updates!  (Read 1558 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Radio Jay's AM & FM Mega Shootout 2020 Updates!
« on: September 07, 2020, 1741 UTC »
He does it again this year. Not techie with spec's, but decent 'layman's terms' to share with anyone wanting an AM / FM portable today,   https://radiojayallen.com/2020/09/07/am-fm-mega-shootout-2020-updates/
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: Radio Jay's AM & FM Mega Shootout 2020 Updates!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 0212 UTC »
I'd place the Sony ICF-38 a lot higher than Jay Allen did. It's a very good AM performer. Mine will bring in every station my GE Superadios bring in, although not all of the DX stations are as readable.

I would also have rated the GE Superadio III a lot higher than the Sangean HDR-16.

I hate to say it, because I like Sangean radios generally, but the HDR-16 is useless for MW DX, as its LED readout is noisy on MW -- whereas a lot of SRIII's were definite DX machines. Mine is. It matches my GE SR2.... with SRIII's of course, YMMV, depending on factory run.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 0115 UTC »
The SRIII is my nicest sounding portable but it does have a problem with touchy tuning at the high end of the AM band.
Don't know whether it is a very slight mechanical backlash that is unnoticeable  at the low end of the scale but more pronounced at the more
compressed high end of the scale or if it is a varactor tuning issue. 
Otherwise a hot performer on AM DX and probably deserves more than 3 stars. 
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 0948 UTC »
The SRIII is my nicest sounding portable but it does have a problem with touchy tuning at the high end of the AM band.
Don't know whether it is a very slight mechanical backlash that is unnoticeable  at the low end of the scale but more pronounced at the more
compressed high end of the scale or if it is a varactor tuning issue. 
Otherwise a hot performer on AM DX and probably deserves more than 3 stars.

My SRIII is also touchy between around 1300 and 1600 or so. I think it's the way the varactor tunes, plus the mechanical backlash of the dial string set-up. I zero in carefully when tuning that range... 

Some SRIIIs were quite good, and if you got a good SRIII you got a great performer.

Only drawback on mine is a bit of overload in two spots on the dial, seems to mostly dissipate at night, except near 1360, but I live with it...
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).