We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Help with 22m beacon kit from Black Cat Systems  (Read 1341 times)

Offline ak7v

• View Profile
    • Email
Help with 22m beacon kit from Black Cat Systems
« on: March 10, 2021, 2317 UTC »
Hello,

I ordered a 22m beacon kit years ago and finally got around to putting it together.  It works great as long as my supply voltage is 4v or less - nice clean sine wave on frequency, keying from uC works.  Anything above 4v, and it will tend to oscillate at a higher harmonic (and not make it through the output filter, thankfully).  When I first power it up, it'll oscillate on the crystal's fundamental, but if I adjust the pot, or "key" the microcontroller (either with the actual microcontroller or manually with a wire from pin 6 to VCC or GND), the 74HC02 will jump up to a harmonic and stay there until I cycle power to the board.

Anything I can do or anywhere I should look to diagnose/fix this problem?  I'm powering it off a bench supply for now, no regulator installed on the board (just jumper).  No extra caps, although I played with a few values in C16 without any change in this behavior.  I've checked my component placement and all looks well.  I measured 4.98v in the initial voltage check prior to installing the 74HC02.

If I run at 4v or lower, it functions exactly as it should.  This probably won't be a real problem since I plan on using a solar light w/ battery to power it, but I'd like to learn and understand what's happening and how to fix it.

Thanks!

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Help with 22m beacon kit from Black Cat Systems
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 0000 UTC »
My money is on a bad IC.  It probably got zapped when you built it...I've had similar happen with CMOS devices.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline ak7v

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Help with 22m beacon kit from Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 1743 UTC »
Yep, you were right - swapping out the 74HC02 fixed the issue.  I gotta be more careful!

Thanks