We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Wellbrook Active Loops  (Read 7034 times)

Offline Turbo

• View Profile
Wellbrook Active Loops
« on: May 13, 2012, 0151 UTC »
This photo was taken from my daughters room above alfresco left Wellbrook-ALA1530L,right Wellbrook-ALA1530 the other 2 loops ALA1530AL-1/330S will be mounted on the roof soon..

Regards Lino..

Offline clobdell

• Global Moderator
  • DXing Phenomena
  • Massachusetts
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wellbrook Active Loops
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 2151 UTC »
Just bought one a few weeks ago, but haven't put it up yet. Are you happy with reception?
Receiver: Eton E1, JRC NRD-525, 535 and 545, Icom IC-7300
Aerial: MFJ G5RV dipole
near Lowell Massachusetts - Gateway To The Merrimack Valley.
All loggings are from my QTH with my equipment unless stated otherwise.
QSL to: crlobdell1@gmail.com or
Box 80146, Stoneham, MA 02180
Amateur Radio Station: KC1IUK

Offline Turbo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 1141 UTC »
Hi Chris very happy with all the wellbrook loops main intrest is monitoring hf aero the trick is the further away from the house the better they work and null out intereference..

Regards Lino..

Offline nl12SDR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 2055 UTC »
one of the best reception antennae out there ,i had big verticals and long wires none of them come close to this loop,i wish i found this loop out 10 years ago ,its my best spend money ever
Using a Perseus,Tmate and Welbrook ( FTW combo!)

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 0021 UTC »
A few remote web tuners I used to access had Wellbrooks.  They all generally got very good reception and did indeed seem less noisy than other tuners using dipoles and other wire antennas.  Hard to tell for certain unless the owners had a choice between a Wellbrook loop and another antenna on an A/B switch.

Unfortunately most of those great web tuners with Wellbrook loops have been offline most of this year.  Evil Elvis had one set up with his Perseus in Tennessee a couple of years ago and even with high suburban RFI he got great reception of pirates.

One of the quietest was in England near their left coast and often got very good reception of N. American pirates.  That receiver's location was so quiet the only noise was often the receiver's noise floor.  Me, jealous?  I reckon.  My local RFI is usually S5-S9.  :P
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline Turbo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 0037 UTC »
I recently mounted my Wellbrook-ALA1530AL-1 on the left side..

Regards Lino..

Offline nl12SDR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 1915 UTC »
im wondering what u got hooked to them 3 loops  ;D
Using a Perseus,Tmate and Welbrook ( FTW combo!)

Offline Jhkayakr

• Virginia Beach, Va.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 2218 UTC »
Where can I pick one up in the states?
Virginia Beach, Va...
IC-R75...ATS-909X...Satellit 800...
Yaesu FTDX3000...FT897D...SDR Play RSPDX
PAR End Fed..Hex Beam..40m80m dbl bazooka
QSL please to: jhkayakr@yahoo.com ...

Offline Turbo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 2255 UTC »
Hi you cannot buy them in the states you buy them direct from wellbrook in the uk & they ship direct to you..

Regards Lino.,

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 0135 UTC »
Just received my ALA1530S+ last weekend. Ordered from Wellbrook on Sunday and received it the following Sat (could've had it on Fri, if I was home when the mailman brought it).

On the upper HF bands (15 MHz & 17 MHz, didn't try higher), its about the same as my 12 year old G5RV.
On 11-15 MHz, the loop is a little better.
On 9 MHz, its much better (hardly a surprise as a wet noodle does better on 9-10 MHz than a G5RV).
The lower you go, the better it gets. Can get WWV on 2500 during the day now.

On MW & LW. All I can say is that it surpassed my wildest dreams. The loop is now on the porch for the winter with a rotator. In the spring it will be sent out to the shed about 100' from the house and hopefully will get rid of a lot of stupid QRM.

Was tuning around the low end of where the LW NDBs hang out. Found a couple around 218 kHz (don't remember the freq, but it was around there somewhere) that were very strong. At first thought they were new local beacons, but they turned out to be deep in Canada straight north of here, hundreds of miles away.

Also picked up a couple of NAVTEX stations on 518 kHz over in Greenland... over 2000 miles away.

The rotator is really nice, and while not technically required, it makes things much better and would recommend that.

The only thing I regret is not getting it a year ago when I first started ogling them.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 0146 UTC by skeezix »
Minneapolis, MN