We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: CKZU 6160 kHz still TX out of Vancouver?  (Read 8964 times)

cmradio

CKZU 6160 kHz still TX out of Vancouver?
« on: January 03, 2009, 0950 UTC »
I can't get a straight answer out of the CBC after 4 months of trying (most I contacted don't even know what SW is and keep asking me the FM channel in what city I'm listening to).

So for the helluvit, next time I was in Richmond, BC, I took the radio with me and there is zero shortwave emissions out of that transmitter site.

When did they go QRT?

Peace!

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: CKZU 6160 kHz still TX out of Vancouver?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 2357 UTC »
I don't know. I can hear St. John's there in the late afternoon if the band isn't overrun with powerhouse international stations. Of course,I'm in the S.E. USA.

Something is back on 6070. I don't know if Toronto rebuilt the vertical or it's another English language station?

cmradio

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 0214 UTC »
I'm getting something non-english and weak on 6070 under Russkie woodpecker at the moment.

Wherever that station is, it isn't Vancouver ???

Peace!

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 2107 UTC »
Dunno 'bout 6160, I hardly ever tune in the 49m band anymore since the stations I want to hear are nut to butt with CRI's propa-info-tainment.  (Fie on ye, CRI, for wiping out the cool jazz stuff from Brazil on 6185, fie, sez I.)  But recently I've been getting CFRB via CFRX on 6070 very clearly even until mid-morning here in Texas.  Most of last year I couldn't snag 6070 at all, but it started coming through since winter started.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 1526 UTC »
FYI: 6070 was off the air until recently, their transmitter was out of service.

Apparently CKZU is still on the air: http://www.odxa.on.ca/broadcasting.html

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

cmradio

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 0558 UTC »
Nice page, thanks for the link!

Then they're transmitting into a shielded dummy load, 'cause I've tried to tune them since I got my radio in July and there is no way a 1KW transmitter into a quad of folded dipoles has a 150dB notch from me ;)

Peace!

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 0724 UTC »

Then they're transmitting into a shielded dummy load, 'cause I've tried to tune them since I got my radio in July and there is no way a 1KW transmitter into a quad of folded dipoles has a 150dB notch from me ;)

Peace!

You'd be surprised. There's a one lung AM'er about a mile from me. When they drop to 1/4 power at dusk and switch antenna orientation they're barely audible. Hell,I'm eyeball level with the top of their tower from my hill.

cmradio

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 0738 UTC »

Peace!

You'd be surprised. There's a one lung AM'er about a mile from me. When they drop to 1/4 power at dusk and switch antenna orientation they're barely audible. Hell,I'm eyeball level with the top of their tower from my hill.

I learned something new!

I'm going to try contacting an engineer with CBC rather than the nail-polishing bubbleheads in media relations ;)

Peace!