We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: DX Test This Sat Night/Sun Morn WNJC 1360?  (Read 1128 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
DX Test This Sat Night/Sun Morn WNJC 1360?
« on: October 23, 2020, 1910 UTC »
Ripped from The FRN:

Just got an email with the following info:

DX Test This Saturday Night/Sunday Morning-- WNJC 1360, Washington Township, NJ

Heard from several active and retired engineers who are interested in DX Tests. Thought you professionals might enjoy hearing about a DX Test coming up tomorrow night. Here are the details from WNJC 1360 in Washington Township, NJ. They will be conducting a DX Test tomorrow night into Sunday morning for our clubs:

WNJC 1360 DX TEST-- SATURDAY OCTOBER 17 INTO SUNDAY MORNING OCTOBER 18

"04:00 UTC-Midnight Eastern- WNJC will conduct the DX audio test using Morse Code and sweep tones continuing on our nighttime pattern.

At 0500 UTC- 1 AM Eastern I will be switching to our daytime pattern at 5kw using 4 towers directional to SSE with the DX audio test concluding at 0600 UTC. From 0600 - 1000 UTC I will be leaving the transmitter in daytime mode
but be playing a mix of 80s - 2010 pop, rock, dance, country and whatever else I grew up listening to and feel like playing.

Listen for the sweepers between songs of movie & tv show clips along with our voice-over guy."

WNJC has tested previously and been heard as far away as the West Coast of the United States and Canada. Their test signals have also been received in the UK, Norway, and Spain. Listen for their signal if you get the chance.

Les Rayburn, N1LF

Also another person added:

From what I found on the web, WNJC has been running DX tests quite often during September and October. They have even sent some FT-8.

I can remember when DX tests were quite common and well publicized by the radio clubs. It was quite common on a Sunday morning when a high power station would go off the air for transmitter maintenance and then the lower power stations on the same frequency could be heard and would have special dx tests.

Don't see this happening much anymore.

Bill
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Jari Finland

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: DX Test This Sat Night/Sun Morn WNJC 1360?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 1939 UTC »
It was nice to hear.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 1941 UTC by Jari Finland »

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 1946 UTC »
Logged them here in Michigan last month with solid sigs.
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 1946 UTC »

Offline myteaquinn

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 2158 UTC »
Here is an update on a test scheduled for this Saturday October 31st.

This week I am going to be airing a Halloween special on WNJC 1360 AM. There will be no FT-8 test this week. I am going to play Halloween sound effects and music mixed with DX audio test clips. I will be starting at 00:00 UTC 11/1 (08:00 PM EDT 10/31). This will continue all night and morning till 1100 UTC (6:00 AM EST). It’s the end of Daylight savings time, so I even get an extra hour to broadcast! Power levels and pattern along with more details will be announced before the event.
Northeast Ohio
Now using Shazam for song identification
myteaquinn@yahoo.com

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 1047 UTC »
Didn't listen too long but heard them this morning in Michigan with fair sigs and
some sweep tones at about 0950Z and a YL with TOH ID at 1000Z.