We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 75' tower!  (Read 1517 times)

Offline Lumpy512

• View Profile
75' tower!
« on: November 18, 2020, 0016 UTC »
 :) Hello everybody!

Its been several weeks since my last post, so I thought I would share what I've been UP to...hehe. I got my 75' tower up, and my new Colossal antenna! Its guyed the times at 30' and 3 times at 60'. Its loud & proud up there! Great friends and nice weather made it possible..and now I'm all set to talk ALL OVER THE WORLD!  :D

Hope to hear you out there!
73's
Lumpy 512WNY

« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 0024 UTC by Lumpy512 »

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: 75' tower!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 1945 UTC »
Oh yeah??? Here's a real test. Can you talk down to the PA border regularly? On Alma and North Hills in Allegany Co., a decent mobile station could easily hear the dudes up in Buffalo / Niagara Falls. Then again, most of them were running stupid power, so they didn't hear me at the time.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Lumpy512

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 0107 UTC »
I can talk to Mt.Morris, Naples..and Perry fairly well. Worked Salamanca today! That's a good trip from here..

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 1102 UTC »
Very impressive! Any photos you can post?
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Polar Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 1741 UTC »
Oh yeah??? Here's a real test. Can you talk down to the PA border regularly? On Alma and North Hills in Allegany Co., a decent mobile station could easily hear the dudes up in Buffalo / Niagara Falls. Then again, most of them were running stupid power, so they didn't hear me at the time.
Range is dependent upon band conditions.

LOS - is about 65 miles, anything past that and you either have to have a damn good station or the band conditions are just right..

Even with a 25 watt AM radio and a Solorcon A99 on a 40' tower, the best I can do to a mobile is about 20 miles from where I live.

If people would use SSB they would get better performance, but most people are too cheap to buy a good SSB radio and they are more worried about how loud their audio is then how clean their signal is..

How many times have you heard people operate where their signal is 3 channels wide?  That is an inefficient use of power..  it takes a 4X multiplication of power to talk twice as far..  So on a day where you can't hear a legal 5 watt mobile more then 10 miles, you would need 1000 watts just to talk 100 miles.