We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: RIP Universal Radio  (Read 2413 times)

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
RIP Universal Radio
« on: November 21, 2020, 2321 UTC »
Universal Radio is closing shop. This one hurts. The Ostermans were really dedicated to SWL.

https://www.universal-radio.com/RetireNotice.html
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: RIP Universal Radio
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 0647 UTC »
I'm a bit surprised no one is purchasing the online store. I'm sure the website gets a lot of traffic.

Not a good harbinger for the radio hobby in general.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 1634 UTC »
I have been expecting this.  The first hint was the move of the store location, followed by the sale of service manuals and parts.  Then a number of used items they had listed started to look like someone was thinning out their collection...I was told this was from hamfests and estate sales but I wasn’t convinced.  Updates to their site were slow and last week they seemed to stop.

It’s too bad.  They will be missed.

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 1739 UTC »
Disheartening news.  Universal always displayed professionalism and knowledgeable , courteous customer service.
Best wishes to Fred and Barb. I wish you nothing but the best in your retirement.
Thank you.
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Offline Sealord

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • North East Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 1935 UTC »
Bummer
Indoors: WR-G33DDC & TT RX-340_DX Eng. 4-Square Array / Outdoors: Belka-DX_Whip / Poolside: SMC HF-150_MMD-40 (D.O.G.) / Off Air/Studio Recordings

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 2344 UTC »
Sad news.  :(

They were not only a good source for radios but all the other bits an pieces as well,
especially some of the hard to find stuff.  Always professional and courteous they
were my first stop when looking for anything radio.

Best wishes to Fred and the staff.  Thank you.

Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 0011 UTC »
I will miss them. They were always the first place I'd go to when looking for equipment.

Minneapolis, MN

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 1617 UTC »
Cross-posting from https://swling.com/blog/2020/11/end-of-an-era-universal-radio-is-closing-shop/ ....

I shop DXE and eBay more these days, but I have made a few purchases from Universal Radio over the years. Hate to see it go, but I understand wanting to retire, too.

Suspected something was occurring when noticing several transceivers were no longer listed as “in stock” a few days ago. Even without the store, the site has lots of amazing information.

Hope the best for the owners and staff as they move forward.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2020, 0329 UTC »
I still miss AES. Always done very well with them. And, for A/V gear, I still miss WDS, (Wisconsin Discount Stereo.) Am I showing my age by saying that?
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Rizla

• Sonoran Desert, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2020, 2309 UTC »
I learned a ton of things from their website back in the late 90's, such a helpful site just being there. I'm thinking of the days when dxing.com and a few others were go-to places (i.e. long ago). Sad to hear about this.
QTH: Sonoran Desert, AZ. Kenwood TS-820S, FT-891, Tecsun 880, neophyte in a forest of antenna wire.

Offline syfr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2020, 0102 UTC »
...hope the cats are OK!
Kiwsdr x 2. TenTec Paragon/NRD535