We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: The Codebreaker - PBS  (Read 714 times)

Offline WA4FHY

• View Profile
    • Email
The Codebreaker - PBS
« on: January 12, 2021, 0511 UTC »
This seemed the most logical place to post this for the most folks to see, but feel free to move it if I'm wrong.
I considered Numbers Stations... Sorry for posting it late but it will be repeated in
most areas and should be available on the PBS website. BTW: I thought it was a
very good program.

Tonight PBS American Experience will show "The Codebreaker" at 2000 CST on Ch8 WNPT and at 2100 CST on Ch22 WCTE (and repeated at other times).

"Based on the book The Woman Who Smashed Codes: A True Story of Love, Spies, and the Unlikely Heroine Who Outwitted America's Enemies, The Codebreaker reveals the fascinating story of Elizebeth Smith Friedman, the groundbreaking cryptanalyst whose painstaking work to decode thousands of messages for the US government would send infamous gangsters to prison in the 1920s and bring down a massive, near-invisible Nazi spy ring in WWII.

Her remarkable contributions to the science of cryptology would come to light decades after her death,
when secret government files were unsealed. Together with her husband, the legendary cryptographer
William Friedman, Elizebeth helped develop the codebreaking methods that laid the foundation for the
National Security Agency (NSA)."

Above quoted text from  "Close-Up" magazine January / February 2021 a publication of WCTE 
SDR-IQ / IC-R70 / IC-735 / FT-817ND / FT-991A, RSPduo,5 band vertical
Near Music City, TN