We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UK HF station south coast.  (Read 1951 times)

Offline Simondo

• View Profile
    • Email
UK HF station south coast.
« on: August 09, 2012, 1653 UTC »
Hello all, my first posting.
Greetings from the UK. I don't know if there are any other UK users on here especially in my area.

I live in Portsmouth, south coast of the UK - right at the bottom. Portsmouth is basically a natural harbour and home for the Royal Navy.  Several miles north of the harbour, there is an 400 ft high hill called Portsdown Hill - well know for lots of clandestine activity during WW2 and the cold war era like hollowing out sections of this chalk hill for an oil reservoir/ air raid shelters, having a D-Day command post hollowed out in the hill etc.
On top and along its length there are various defense establishments with a vast array of weird and wonderful antenna - one section is a training school apparently and several other plots are restricted to public access.

My point is, i used to follow the number stations as a hobby. During this time, there was a massive centre fed wire dipole in one of these areas on top of the hill. The wire was strung between 2 lattice girder towers approx. 90 ft high at a guess-probably more. The centre fed wire must have been over 100 ft long and the central feed went down into a small building in a field. It was there way before i started monitoring, during my time, but strangely, was taken down around the same time the Lincolnshire Poacher went off air ( was that about 2008 ???).
Probably total coincidence but, was this dipole used to receive the Poacher ? Was it a relay station seeing the signal broadcast from Cyprus allegedly ? I was wondering if ,by any chance, any local listeners used this forum would know or at least have an educated guess.

ok, thanks alot
Simon
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 1748 UTC by Simondo »

Offline Duffer

• Liverpool, UK
  • NW England
    • View Profile
Re: UK HF station south coast.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 1010 UTC »
Interesting stuff Simon. I'm in Liverpool, so I can't really help. I'll watch this thread though :)

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns