We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Pirates helping communities during COVID?  (Read 819 times)

Offline mao68

• View Profile
    • Email
Pirates helping communities during COVID?
« on: April 02, 2021, 1900 UTC »
Hello! New here, so I hope this is the correct place to post.

Does anyone know about people earlier in the pandemic using unlicensed radio to spread COVID safety guidelines? Or now spreading vaccine information?

Context: I'm writing about the PIRATE Act a year in. Interested in learning about cases where unlicensed stations helped keep communities safe in ways that traditional channels perhaps did not.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: Pirates helping communities during COVID?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 1927 UTC »
If I had to guess, the answer would be YES from those pirate FM stations that are serving the inner city ethnic communities. However, unless you know the stations' ops and supporters, don't expect much info from them, since they are being demonized more today, than ever before, for their unlicensed broadcasting activities. You may have to do what the BBC did 4 years ago and go undercover to gain trust and any info. That was a fascinating report from them, and if you look-back far enough in The HFU pages, you may still find the link for that and download. Granted, this was all before the COVID-19 BS, but I suspect that these stations would be the ones that are performing the answer of exactly of what you are asking. 
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pirates helping communities during COVID?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 0252 UTC »
While not technically a pirate, I was made aware of several temporary tis style stations licensed through Ntia for information about covid testing locations and directions.  Most were associated with hospitals, churches, and community centers.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns