We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: New Beacon "L" on 4096.12  (Read 2940 times)

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
    • My adventures are at Sun To The North
Re: New Beacon "L" on 4096.12
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2021, 0109 UTC »
DW is so strong here that I can hear a low whoop in the passband of my NRD-525 tuned to "L" 4096.12

Maybe I should rename this thread "Beacon L  4096.12 malfunction?" so we can encourage the owner to get it back on the air ASAP  :-[

I miss it already!
Jim
NRD-525, Elecraft KX3 and Elecraft PX3 Spectrum Display
76' end fed long wire & 66' off-center fed dipole for 10/20/40 meters
Orange County, SoCal, The better half

Offline zeak

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2021, 0256 UTC »
The very few HF experimenters I know tend to be an obsessive lot, one will drive 800mi R-T to retrieve his “pet beacon” just to make a few changes, another can’t seem to leave his creation in the field “too long”, so its hard to tell about “L”, is it a malfunction or is it an over attentive creator?

I guess its like kids and animals we just have to be happy we have them for the time we do and hope they come back to stay or just hang around for a while.

From this location at 0200Z, 2, May “L” was 589 with no QSB and then at 0520Z, nothing when it was usually ~569?

Receiver KiwiSDR
Ant: 80m dipole at 15m
Zeak,

Receiver KiwiSDR
Ant(s): 80m dipole at 15m and 1m Loop

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
    • My adventures are at Sun To The North
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2021, 0345 UTC »
The very few HF experimenters I know tend to be an obsessive lot, one will drive 800mi R-T to retrieve his “pet beacon” just to make a few changes, another can’t seem to leave his creation in the field “too long”, so its hard to tell about “L”, is it a malfunction or is it an over attentive creator?

I guess its like kids and animals we just have to be happy we have them for the time we do and hope they come back to stay or just hang around for a while.

The way I look at it, 800 miles is $120 or more of gas and that money could be spent on more robust components for the beacon. Driving time could be used for performing in depth testing to ensure increased reliability. (The remote dataloggers I built and deployed three years back only require a new SLA battery every 14 months).

Mojave Beaconeer built his "auroral chorus" based on very simple low power circuits and some of them are many years old and functioning well, even without batteries holding a charge any more.
Jim
NRD-525, Elecraft KX3 and Elecraft PX3 Spectrum Display
76' end fed long wire & 66' off-center fed dipole for 10/20/40 meters
Orange County, SoCal, The better half

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns