We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: SSTV software (Chrome)  (Read 2908 times)

Matt285

SSTV software (Chrome)
« on: June 18, 2021, 1323 UTC »
So, to start off. I am not that computer savvy. A short time ago I purchased a Lenovo Chromebook because my kids have taken over the main PC in the house. Everything was fine for a while, I used it to check DX clusters, QRZ, Youtube etc. Now I have decided to get into SSTV, but I am limited to various apps. I really wanted to download and use windows software - Black Cat or MMSSTV. I have heard various things like somehow using Linux? I think I'm probably screwed in that dept, but if anyone has any creative ideas, I would love to hear them. Thanks

P.S - It would appear that I only have one audio input/Output jack on the chrome book. That may be a problem as well.

Offline Brian

• Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SSTV software (Chrome)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 1706 UTC »
You only need one audio input.

Matt285

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 1744 UTC »
Hey, thanks! At least have that going for me. I asked one of our IT guys about it. He looked puzzled and said he'd think it over. His expression seemed to say 'Not likely'

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 1531 UTC »
There are SSTV apps in the Google Play store. You might need to first enable Android app support on ChromeOS.

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/7021273?hl=en

I have not used it, so no comment on usability, but here is a freeware app for SSTV decoding when receiving.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=xdsopl.robot36&hl=en_US&gl=US

Here is a free app for SSTV encoding when transmitting.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=om.sstvencoder
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 1535 UTC by RobRich »
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Matt285

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 1150 UTC »
Rob, thanks for all the info. I found the box for the chromebook yesterday. I think I'm going to return it and get a laptop with a Windows OS. Now i just have to figure out what features the laptop will need for SSTV.

Offline Brian

• Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 1419 UTC »
Rob, thanks for all the info. I found the box for the chromebook yesterday. I think I'm going to return it and get a laptop with a Windows OS. Now i just have to figure out what features the laptop will need for SSTV.

Off topic but vendors don't usually like taking back computers that have been out of the box.

Once your new laptop has an audio input socket, it should be OK. I imagine all laptops these days will meet the min requirments for SSTV.

Matt285

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 1115 UTC »
My daughter traded me her Dell PC for the chrome book. Should be good to go now.

Offline Ray Lalleu

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Western part of France
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2021, 0338 UTC »
You'll copy 100 times :

" A CHROMEBOOK IS NOT A PC"
D/E/F/G/It/Sp : Dutch/English/French/German/Italian/Spanish
+/- : about 0.02 offset, ++/-- 0.03/0.04 offset
Balanced wire antennas, wire lines and ATU
***** Mes pages OEM sont bloquées par "le club", alors pour les recevoir, joignez-moi par les autres membres ****