We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Archer Beacon ON THE AIR!  (Read 6628 times)

Offline IRONARCHER

• View Profile
    • Email
Archer Beacon ON THE AIR!
« on: June 21, 2021, 0246 UTC »
Hello everyone-
I've been a lurker here on HFU for a while now and I finally have something to post about. I'm proud to announce that after a month of prototyping I have finally come up with simple little beacon design that works. Listed below are the specs of the Archer Beacon.

Run Time- 24/7
Circuit design- Simple BD-139 crystal oscillator with an IRF-510 amplifier and 7th order Chebyshev low pass filter.
Battery- Lithium 2 cell pack totaling 8400mah that's charged by 2 small 2.5W solar panels.
Charge Control- I'm using an off the shelf TC4056 charge controller and voltage step up to bring it to 12v for the transmitter.
IC controller- ATtiny85 keys the crystal oscillator.
Power output- About 2 Watts.
Enclosure- Gasket sealed waterproof project box with all connectors sealed with silicone. Added some desiccant packs just to be safe.
Antenna- 64' end fed half wave in a sloper configuration matched with a mini 49:1 impedance transformer.
Beacon Info- Sends "ABK" once every ~55 seconds in slow CW on 6998.73Khz just under the 40m band.
Beacon QTH- North western part of the US.

When the beacon is transmitting the frequency tends to be a bit drifty so it sounds kinda whoopy.
I plan on making a few improvements like a better solar panel and improving the frequency stability.

I would love some feedback on the design good or bad. Just so everyone knows, I'm very much an electronics amateur. The first time I picked up a soldering iron in any serious capacity was the toward the end of 2020 when I went down the rabbit hole homebrewing simple CW radios. I started out building small kit radios and became fascinated with the idea of building a pirate beacon after discovering HFU. The first beacon I actually heard while scanning around was the "Desert Whooper" and I was hooked. After countless hours of research, designing, prototyping, failing miserably, then finally succeeding, I'm proud to present the Archer Beacon.

Please send QSLs to
ARCHERBEACON at GMAIL dot COM
and I will send you a brand new shiny E-QSL card.
If you are interested in the design or would like a copy of the schematic just let me know.
Images attached below.
Enjoy!

« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 0249 UTC by IRONARCHER »
pse eQSL to archerbeacon@gmail.com

Offline outhouse radio

• View Profile
Re: Archer Beacon ON THE AIR!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 0339 UTC »
i was hearing something way down in the noise but it's high noise level tonight .
give it some time , i'm sure some of these guys on here will get on it soon .

Offline IRONARCHER

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 0505 UTC »
Yeah it is pretty noisy tonight so I'm not too worried.
I checked out some web SDRs earlier and I could hear it in AZ about 1000mi away so I know it at least works.

Offline Rob.

• View Profile
    • N1NTE KiwiSDR online
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 1256 UTC »
Nice job! Good to see some more HF beacons coming online. :)
- Rob

CT/MA border
Email: n1nte.rob@gmail.com
KiwiSDR (x4) online - http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8073/
ΣSDR Blog - https://n1nte.blogspot.com/

Offline mark-n-nut

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 1519 UTC »
Doing well here this morning at 1500 utc =/-

73, Mark

R-75
Wellbrook 1530 Loop
Dipoles
QTH - Northern UT (NUT)
DN41af

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
  • Lake Stevens, Washington
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 1924 UTC »
Hearing it here clearly in Lake Stevens, Washington as of 1920 UTC. I also tried it earlier today (around 1530 UTC) via an SDR on Whidbey Island and heard it there. It is a little whoopy, which makes it sound almost like a bird call at times, which is kind of fun.

Do you want me to email you a short recording?

Eric Fetters-Walp / eQSL to fettwalp@outlook.com

Radios: Eton Elite Field, Sihuadon R-108, Eton Grundig Edition Satellit
Antennas: 60-foot-long end-fed wire, MLA-30+ loop

Offline IRONARCHER

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 0144 UTC »
Mark and Treehouse SWL-
Thank you very much for your reports! I've sent you my numbered QSL cards.
Any screenshots or audio recording are very helpful and appreciated.
So far the furthest report is from Ukraine!! That blew my mind when I received that report as I never expected it to go international!
Keep the reports coming!!

Offline outhouse radio

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 0345 UTC »
 Ukraine!

good job man  8)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 2018 UTC »
Thanks for the new beacon / DX target!

Copied here at 0747 UTC on my overnight SDR recording, using a netSDR and 900 ft Sky Loop antenna.

Below is an audio recording:

http://radiohobbyist.org/blog/mypics/6998.0-USB-22-Jun-2021-07.47.38.mp3
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline IRONARCHER

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2021, 0059 UTC »
Awesome! Thanks for the recording as well and my eQSL card will be in your inbox shortly.

Offline zeak

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2021, 0437 UTC »
Congratulations your beacon is 589 at this location at 0430Z.

Your beacon looks great in the pic posted and the only advice I can give is the outside wiring and critters. Two of the beacons I know of went temporarily QRT simply due to the critters. Other than that, thanks for putting the beacon on the air!!

Receiver KiwiSDR
Ant: 80m dipole at 15m
Zeak,

Receiver KiwiSDR
Ant(s): 80m dipole at 15m and 1m Loop

Offline IRONARCHER

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2021, 0655 UTC »
Zeak-
Thanks for the report! If you PM me an email address, I will send you my eQSL card.

Good piece of advice on the external solar power wiring. I can confirm the presence of multiple types of wire eating critters in the emplacement area and now it has me worried. My next trip out I will have to reinforce it with something. The enclosure alone took several days of planning/building and even went through the trouble of a 24hr submersion test to ensure no leaks. I also made sure to consider weather, temporary lack of sun, and high winds into planning but never thought about dang critters chewing up the wire hahaha.

A quick internet search led me to a product amazon carries called "Electriduct 1/4" Rodent Resistant Braided Sleeving" that I think would solve the problem perfectly. If I decide to buy a roll, I will drop a review here for any future beacon builders that may encounter rodent problems. Seems like it would be a cheap solution to prevent unintended and premature QSTs.

Heathkit

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2021, 1558 UTC »
I'm hearing it right now on the VE7AV SDR, Prince George, BC.

Really chirpy, to the point of musical ^_^

*edit*
Just sent a little recording to you for QSL ID
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 1605 UTC by Heathkit »

Offline IRONARCHER

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2021, 2104 UTC »
Heathkit-
You should be receiving my eQSL card in your email shortly. I sent the email before reading your post so I got your QTH now for my logs.
It definitely is chirpy! I'm not sure how to fix it... I think it is probably a heat problem causing frequency drift. I have a heatsink on the IRF-510 because it gets warm and I tried heatsinking the BD-139 but it made no difference. Maybe ill just leave it alone since the chirp gives it some unique character.
Any thoughts?
Also thank you for the recording. Much appreciated and ill add it to my log.

Heathkit

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2021, 0611 UTC »
Hi IronArcher,

Thank you much for the QSL!

Looking at the schematic, I'd say regulate the BD-139 (go from 12 to say 9V, then the 5V for the logic after that) and use a buffer. That should cure your chirp.

73's

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns