We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: What happened to 107.7 Virginia House Radio Richmond, VA  (Read 6170 times)

Offline brownsound

• View Profile
Hi all,

I found 107.7 Virginia House Radio some years back and it became my favorite station in Richmond. Recently I have not been able to find the station, and a new station is in place of it. Have they changed or been shut down? Please let me know, I miss the amazing bluegrass and old country so much.

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 1640 UTC by Skipmuck »
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline shadypyro

• Port Alberni British Columbia Canada
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What happened to 107.7 Virginia House Radio Richmond, VA
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 0241 UTC »
Or maybe they are off the air? That could be my guess.
Tecsun PL-880, MLA-30 plus loop antenna. Various sdrs.

Please eQSL to deserthawk1990@hotmail.com

Offline radio

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2023, 0043 UTC »
Hi all,

I found 107.7 Virginia House Radio some years back and it became my favorite station in Richmond. Recently I have not been able to find the station, and a new station is in place of it. Have they changed or been shut down? Please let me know, I miss the amazing bluegrass and old country so much.

As you've probably figured out by now, that frequency is currently occupied by WJFN 820 AM's translator W299DB.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2023, 1445 UTC »
I'll take a wild guess and say they were a legal LPFM that had to give up the ghost for financial or other reasons and the AM station applied for the vacant spot on the dial for it's translator? 

Offline ROKFRED

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2023, 1629 UTC »
YUP most likely the situation. The tiny slivers of "open frequencies" will be disappearing as more AM's get assigned those freqs by the FCC, to enhance their coverage with stereo fidelity. It only enhances their present coverage for the AM side. Usually a 250 watt transmitter and maybe some height restrictions to protect another licensee using that freq or adjacent. There are still those crazy rules about 1st adjacent and 2nd adjacent.
These mini FM's are able to use Yagi antennas to direct their signal only for their intended audience.
Fred