We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Construction of Shortwave beacon  (Read 3783 times)

Offline syfr

• View Profile
Re: Construction of Shortwave beacon
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2021, 1633 UTC »
A couple of suggestions! You do very very nice building, far better than I can do.

After some iterations of homebrewing, Ive found you can't beat the cost of the "Frog Sounds" QRP kits that the various chinese suppliers produce . You ccan modify the LPF on them and ditch the receiver section and end up with a half watt output transmitter, board and all parts (minus the crystal of your choice) for about $2.99 if you buy 10 at a time and shop carefully.  Yes, the LPF is using inefficient chokes rather than toroids, etc but..... you can substitute if you wish.

As far as a micro goes, the Nano is what I started with too. Then I found the ATTiny85 which is way more power efficient and ...well...tiny. There's some libraries out there that sleep it at under a mA.  There's still enough pins left over to say...(hypothetically) turn the DC bias OFF to the transmitter (no use powering that voltage divider if the transmitter is off) take battery measurements, and convert to a morse string, etc etc.  and have space left over for other fun things (like high side and low side switches).

I've experimented with the charge controllers that are available (also Pride of China) and they work well. I still use a LDO 5V regulator  (to-92) for the regulation from the battery to the Tiny, but they're pretty efficient.  When the Tiny is in sleep mode, there's not much load to warm up even that tiny regulator. I use the full battery voltage to the transmitter.  Jim's suggestion on those little battery charge boards is a good one.

Hope those help!

« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 1312 UTC by syfr »
Kiwsdr x 2. TenTec Paragon/NRD535

Finman

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2021, 1810 UTC »
Just one question... why did you choose to put the beacon on the 40 meter amateur band?

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
    • My adventures are at Sun To The North
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2021, 1849 UTC »
Just one question... why did you choose to put the beacon on the 40 meter amateur band?

My bet would be that he has an amateur radio license   8)

To avoid people thinking the transmitter is something else if the find it, i added an explanatory text on the lid "ham radio experiment, radiobeacon 40m".

« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 1851 UTC by Teotwaki »
Jim
NRD-525, Elecraft KX3 and Elecraft PX3 Spectrum Display
76' end fed long wire & 66' off-center fed dipole for 10/20/40 meters
Orange County, SoCal, The better half

Finman

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2021, 1806 UTC »
Probably not as unattended beacons are not legal on the ham bands below 10 meters.

My bet would be that he has an amateur radio license   8)

To avoid people thinking the transmitter is something else if the find it, i added an explanatory text on the lid "ham radio experiment, radiobeacon 40m".

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
    • My adventures are at Sun To The North
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2021, 1820 UTC »
Probably not as unattended beacons are not legal on the ham bands below 10 meters.

He is not in the United States; that might affect what he can or can’t do.
Jim
NRD-525, Elecraft KX3 and Elecraft PX3 Spectrum Display
76' end fed long wire & 66' off-center fed dipole for 10/20/40 meters
Orange County, SoCal, The better half

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns