We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Nice smoky haze from Oregon and californian fires. Hmmmm...  (Read 1921 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Some unreal Sunsets and Blood Moon seen here in WV, due to the West Coast Fires.   https://www.space.com/smoke-from-us-wildfires-seen-from-space-july-2021
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
Re: Nice smoky haze from Oregon and californian fires. Hmmmm...
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 1121 UTC »
Hey Dood,

Visibility definitely reduced  in smoke here recently,much worse toward NYC. I took a walk to a good sunset vantage point to take some pix.Sun was super deep/dull pink and disappeared WELL above the horizon. Moon was up at Zenith and was sort of pinked and kind of dimmed.

Cold frontal passage blew everything out  last night .Yesterday's Sun at rise was dim   reddish pink.

Today's rise was  full lumen /normal/ exceptionally bright white. Dry, almost chilly in a tee shirt this AM.

When I was a kid ( 250 years ago), it seemed fire smoke was a rare phenomena. Not so now.I had also heard mention a while back that not only would the western US be a source for New England smoke, but Southern Canada is now up and coming as a new potential "hot spot" for us as well. Nice.

There are a lot of man made factors that go into this type of disaster, I am sure you can think of a few of them . But they are also "political" in nature.  So I will just kind of "move on" past that aspect of this issue.

K
Station main receiver : Bed springs to  blue razor blade detector to 2000 ohm cans to steam  radiator. Grid FN 42

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 2245 UTC »
Been noticing the huge red sunrises here in MI the past week or so.
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 2242 UTC »
Hey- vis 1.5 miles variable 3
Miles in smoke. Smell of burnt plastic.

Crazy storms and other wild stuff here lately.2 crazy lightning cells off just shore..

K
Station main receiver : Bed springs to  blue razor blade detector to 2000 ohm cans to steam  radiator. Grid FN 42