We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Please read: format for logging message subject  (Read 35021 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Please read: format for logging message subject
« on: October 13, 2012, 1353 UTC »
When posting loggings, please include the station name, frequency, mode, and time and date you first started to hear the station in the subject. For example:

WMPR 6955 AM 0105 UTC 23 JAN 2013

Times should be in UTC, and frequencies in kHz. UNID stations should of course be logged as UNID. If you're replying to an UNID thread but know the station name (due to hearing an ID the original poster did not) please feel free to change the subject in your reply to reflect the station name. Board moderators may also change the original poster's message title from UNID to the station name, this is to make it more obvious what station was logged.

If at all possible, please a single space between the frequency and mode, and the time and UTC text.

Additional information in the subject, such as end time, is certainly welcome as well.

With the large number of loggings being posted, it is easy to have duplicate threads for the same broadcast, if the subject just contains the frequency. It is also more difficult for someone to locate a specific logging if the station name, frequency, and time are not included in the subject. Duplicate threads will be merged together.

Also note that this board is for loggings only. If your post isn't a logging, with frequency, time, and date, it should go elsewhere, probably in either the General or Huh? board. Off topic posts will be moved.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 2246 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Andrew Yoder

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Hobby Broadcasting Blog
    • Email
Re: Please read: format for logging message subject
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 1632 UTC »
Because of delayed postings from people like me who record overnight or sometimes log a show a day (or two or three) late, I think that the date is handy on the subject line, too.
Please QSL to: POB 109, BRS, PA 17214
Hobby Broadcasting Blog: http://hobbybroadcasting.blogspot.com/
Drake R8, AOR AR-7030, R-390A, R-388, SX-28A, Philco 44 + some others    Horizontal loops & 1/2-wave inverted V

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 1243 UTC »
Agreed, putting the date in the subject is a great idea.

Also, if at all possible, please put spaces between the frequency and mode, and the time and UTC text. Don't run the text all together.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

cmradio

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 1256 UTC »
Because of delayed postings from people like me who record overnight or sometimes log a show a day (or two or three) late, I think that the date is handy on the subject line, too.

And folks in different parts of the world.... their Tuesday might be our Monday ;)

Peace!

Offline Shawndx

• Winnipeg MB Canada
    • View Profile
    • AMANDX
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 2305 UTC »
I was wondering if the whole name of the station should be posted. Newer listeners might not know what RFW or RTN means.
73 Best of DX Shawn Axelrod 
All Band Radio Monitor VE4DX1SMA 
Winnipeg MB Canada
QSL's can be e-mailed to amandx@mymts.net
Drake R8/Icom IC-R70/SDRPlay RSPduo and an 155' Longwire
REMEMBER ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN HEAR FOREVER

Offline glassaudioguy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 1811 UTC »
At least at the beginning of the thread that would be helpful.

n0loh

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 0747 UTC »
May I also suggest you give us your region and the relative strength of the signal, please?

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 1928 UTC »
May I also suggest you give us your region and the relative strength of the signal, please?

This is an excellent idea. Actually, every user can put their location in their signature. Click PROFILE in the menu, and then Forum Profile Information, and set it there.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

UncleJohn

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2022, 1653 UTC »

thanks.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 0301 UTC by UncleJohn »

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2023, 1916 UTC »
I was wondering if the whole name of the station should be posted. Newer listeners might not know what RFW or RTN means.

I know this is several years late, but I for one wholeheartedly endorse this idea and believe it ought to be a rule. Posts should take the position that whomever is reading is doing so in a state of abject ignorance, and that you can't be too complete. Abbreviations for station names that don't ID in abbreviations makes newbies either confused or in need of being told that, for example, "RFW" is Radio Free Whatever. (Using that example because while Drunken DJ, to cite someone who uses two names and ID's as "WDDR", Radio Free Whatever ID's only as Radio Free Whatever.)

I'll add that this original post mentions RTN, and after 7 years of shortwave pirate radio listening I couldn't say what RTN is.

This as been my TED talk.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Shortwave_Listener

• DXing Phenomena
  • British Columbia, Canada
    • View Profile
    • The Shortwave Listener
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2023, 2027 UTC »
Two other things I think need to be standardized for title formats:

Relays: could be “Station via Relay” format

Frequency changes: a few possibilities but I prefer 6789 (current frequency) was 7890/6543 (previous/before that)

I also agree with MDK2 100%. The two things above should be standardized because I see different ways to write them all the time and it can sometimes be confusing.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 0112 UTC by Shortwave_Listener »
Lucas Bandura
eQSL appreciated! lucasnerite@gmail.com
Songs are identified with Shazam if needed. I usually use KiwiSDR receivers. Reception from my QTH is using an SDRPlay RSP1A for SWL with a 40 meter band Inverted V at 40 feet. Kenwood TS-570D for ham use.
My website: https://swl7.wordpress.com/
Shortwave Radio Archive: https://www.youtube.com/@SW_Archive
https://archive.org/details/@shortwave_radio_archive