We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Strange CW Transmission 8097AM  (Read 4221 times)

Offline desmoface

• NE Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
Strange CW Transmission 8097AM
« on: February 04, 2009, 1917 UTC »
Ok, I was waiting to see if the V2 Cuban numbers station was going to transmit on 8097 at 1900z.  Sure enough, at about 1857, I get a 40 over s9 carrier..then, right at 1900z, cw starts, and it's transmitting on AM...here is a minute or so of the transmission from the beginning
http://www.mediafire.com/?oywlmenz3cz

It's giberish...I copied guiin, iadun, ruudu, atuwd rnwug, ngrdu and various other 5 letter combinations repeated numerous times.  Is this V2 or just some commercial transmission? I thought cw was all but discontinued in comcl use? 

Steve
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 1923 UTC by desmoface »
Kenwood TS-870SAT
Full Wave 80 Meter Horizontal Loop ~ 260 Ft Long
Pse qsl to Kb8viv @ yahoo . com
NE Ohio

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Strange CW Transmission 8097AM
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 0820 UTC »
These five-character CW transmissions are fairly commonly heard on the same frequencies as V2 and believed to be related transmissions.  I've logged 'em several times during the past year here in Texas.  See: http://www.spynumbers.com/enigma.html
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline mr. mike

• West Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 0802 UTC »
That would make sense...if they (the Espiones Cubanos) don't hear the CW message (which either gives additional info or repeats the message), then it isn't a real message from Pedro. That's the real problem with numbers stations messages: verification. Without some preset term or phrase to assure the spy that it's the Motherland calling on 41 meters, any message could be a fake planted by an enemy intelligence agency.
"I will not be filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered." - Number 6

Offline 4405486

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 2300 UTC »
Very Nice. I am not an expert,but sounds like the real deal to me. Cuban M8 Morse Code Numbers station. Those are
"Cut" numbers you are hearing. For the sake of economy the letter A represents 1; Letter B represents 2 and so on.
It's just an abreviated form of morse numbers.

Abreviated numbers translated to standard Morse Numbers; then the Morse numbers are deciphered and converted
to the letter text message-or something like that. TNX