We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: WBOM 1470 AM Meriden, CT off air?  (Read 753 times)

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Not a crime in Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
WBOM 1470 AM Meriden, CT off air?
« on: August 15, 2021, 2045 UTC »
Maybe one of my fellow Nutmeggers knows the answer to my query. I am just back from a ten week stay on the west coast to help a family member. Upon my return this weekend, I tried to tune to WBOM (WMMW until last year) 1470 AM's weekend oldies program. Both Saturday and Sunday there was no reception or so faint I could not tell whether another 1470 am was being received.

WBOM in Meriden is part of a four station simulcast in Connecticut. The daytime signal covers the middle third of the state running north and south with a strong signal, I am about 10 miles from Meriden. I was able to receive sister/flagship station WDRC 1360 in Hartford. Does anyone know if WBOM is still on air or whether there are technical problems?
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Molvania Poacher

• DXing Phenomena
  • New Hampshire
    • View Profile
Re: WBOM 1470 AM Meriden, CT off air?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 0421 UTC »
Welcome back, CT Yank! I don't know anything about the flatlander station of which you speak, but checking 1470 AM just now, even up here I receive only (and pretty clearly) audio only from WSAN in Allentown, PA. I'd expect to hear the 2.5 kw station 125 miles southwest to the southwest of my QRT, as opposed (or at least in addition) to the one that's 5 kw and 260 miles away, also to the southwest. I think you're on to something.
All reception from this location, radio and antenna.
QTH New Hampshire (70 miles north of Boston).
Tecsun S-8800 and Kenwood R-2000, with about 135 feet of wire thrown up in the trees.
eQSLs most appreciated to molvaniapoacher@gmail.com.

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 1146 UTC »

Thanks for the welcome back.  Well, I put a call into the station this morning to inquire about the problem.  The person on the other end said I was the second person to notify them about the lack of reception.  He said from their end, everything seemed fine but would report it to engineer.  Since I can verify that they were off air since at least Friday, it obviously begs the question how long would they have gone without noticing one of their stations wasn't transmitting if they had not received a pair of calls.
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2021, 1200 UTC »

As of Aug 20, WBOM fully back on air.  A friend passing through Meriden in his car this week said that he could just about receive broadcast.  He joked that he thought they were broadcasting at 3 watts.  All's well now.