We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Beacon Keyer hardware  (Read 1604 times)

Offline syfr

• View Profile
Beacon Keyer hardware
« on: August 20, 2021, 1807 UTC »
I've been playing with a Tiny85 as a beacon controller, due to its efficiencies

I  lowered the clock speed to 1Mhz from 8. Nothing about a keyer needs 8Mhz clock.

I built an external high side switch circuit (2n3904 /  3906 pair) keyed from a digital output from the tiny to turn the 12v to the transmitter OFF when it's not actually sending something.  There's no use burning up power in the bias circuit if it's idle.

Transmitter runs off 12V, of course the Tiny needs 5. A  2950 regulator is fine for supplying the 5V.

I put the Tiny into SLEEP mode (there's some libraries out there on the web to do this. Not so many for the Tiny, but there are some) when it's not doing anything useful (between transmissions, etc). This keeps the Tiny running but shuts down most other functionality (inputs/outputs/DAQ's etc)  to save power. The transmitter is a Pixie (with no RX circuitry) and output is about 550 mW into 50 ohms.  I'm pretty sure I can do better than this by replacing the lossy molded inductors in the LP filter with small toroid versions.

Anyway, here's some supply current numbers with the results.   These numbers include the current to the ATTiny and the transmitter

Vcc 12.5

Icc (Transmitting) = 92 mA
Icc (Transmitter biased but not being keyed) 16mA
Icc (Transmitter disconnected , Tiny in sleep mode)  0.45 mA

That last number (0.45 mA for the whole system in sleep mode) is a nice one if battery capacity is of value to you.

If I recall correctly, the Arduino Nano pulls about 24 mA doing nothing, which is why I spent the time looking at the Attiny.  This is just a hint of a way to go that might help if you're looking to run off a battery.

Syfr
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 1336 UTC by syfr »
Kiwsdr x 2. TenTec Paragon/NRD535

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
    • My adventures are at Sun To The North
Re: Beacon Keyer hardware
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 1558 UTC »
bump for updates
Jim
NRD-525, Elecraft KX3 and Elecraft PX3 Spectrum Display
76' end fed long wire & 66' off-center fed dipole for 10/20/40 meters
Orange County, SoCal, The better half

Offline Quinta

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Beacon Keyer hardware
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2022, 2116 UTC »
Tiny85 can be flashed from arduino ide, i made 2 beacons with tiny85, and use internal reference voltage for voltages measuring.