We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Ops are talking on 160M already.  (Read 1600 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Ops are talking on 160M already.
« on: September 07, 2021, 1906 UTC »
Huh... Even with all those lightning crashes, even being heard up to 10MHz, last night at 06:30UTC, ops on 1880kHz LSB were back on rag chewin'. And, all were coming in from S5 to S9. I guess that's a sign of Fall. Saturday night, I also heard that Gateway News 160M AM at 1860kHz, WA0RCR, at S10/9 - S20/9 signal. http://www.wa0rcr.com/
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
Re: Ops are talking on 160M already.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 2247 UTC »
There is often a nighttime ragchew or two on 160m here, even during the tropical weather season. Mostly just ops around the state, though, so not exactly weak signal DX work.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Elf36

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 1809 UTC »
Ive always wanted to get into 160M, but don't have the height or room for a decent antenna. Worked a couple of station before on CW with a tuned 80M dipole 400 miles away or so. I'll def give it a lesson though. This time of year in Florida, I'm not even able to turn on my radio when I get home due to lightning sometimes for days at a time.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 1941 UTC »
CW might be the best way to QSO on 160M with smaller antennas, and 100W, or less. That, and maybe FT8. My experience on 160M is, unless you pound them with at least an S20/9 signal, they don't seem to want to have much to do with you. They call it 'The Gentleman's band', but I see it more as a band of smugness. Just my take. One of the reasons that I like the newer 60M band. You are on par with everyone else at 100W, or less. That, and 60M is open 24/7 to somewhere.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 2306 UTC »
Often wondered how nbfm would do on the lower bands when static crashes make life miserable, but it's certainly not going to be good for dx or anything other than nvis. The modulation stays within that of am bandwith so it's legal below 10m. Someone's going to have to try.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2021, 2006 UTC »
This time of year in Florida, I'm not even able to turn on my radio when I get home due to lightning sometimes for days at a time.

I would not suggest using your FT-950 with lightning in the area, but you still could use your SDR or portable at least for listening with your outdoor antenna(s). Build a simple ESD protection circuit with a couple of diodes, LED, etc. for extra peace of mind, or order pretty much the same thing from eBay listed as a SDR guard for around $15 to $20 shipped. I have a couple of the eBay units on my primary receivers.

Going a step further, you also could put a cheap $6 eBay LNA preamp in line. If ESD cooks it, you are out a few dollars for a replacement. It probably is not ideal for SNR, but if the alternative is not listening to HF radio at all for days at a time…. ;)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 2008 UTC by RobRich »
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2021, 2016 UTC »
They call it 'The Gentleman's band', but I see it more as a band of smugness. Just my take.

Also, if talking AM on 160 or 75, remember you surely need to be using a decommissioned BCB transmitter weighing hundreds of pounds (or more) with a Gates, RCA, etc. logo. Bonus points if you are modulating 10KHz+ wide.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 2017 UTC by RobRich »