We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Some beacon on 13559.97 KHz  (Read 1139 times)

Offline circuitmike

• View Profile
Some beacon on 13559.97 KHz
« on: October 10, 2021, 1704 UTC »
I'm not sure what beacon I'm hearing, but I'm definitely hearing something around 13559.97. It sounds like it should be slow Morse code but I can't hear any obvious spaces between letters. There are long dashes, then a series of shorter dots and dashes. I don't have any QRSS software handy, unfortunately. I suspect it might be NHVT in Charlestown, NH based on the LWCA beacon list and my proximity to that location, but that's just a guess.

It sounds like it might have just (17:03 UTC) gone off the air, unfortunately.
QTH: Western Massachusetts (FN32rp)
Receiver: KiwiSDR (on-site)
Antenna: Wellbrook ALA-1530LN loop

Finman

Re: Some beacon on 13559.97 KHz
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 1248 UTC »
I'm not sure what beacon I'm hearing, but I'm definitely hearing something around 13559.97. It sounds like it should be slow Morse code but I can't hear any obvious spaces between letters. There are long dashes, then a series of shorter dots and dashes. I don't have any QRSS software handy, unfortunately. I suspect it might be NHVT in Charlestown, NH based on the LWCA beacon list and my proximity to that location, but that's just a guess.

It sounds like it might have just (17:03 UTC) gone off the air, unfortunately.

That's right in the middle of the 13560 noise hole.. RFID, RF heating devices, medical imaging... the worst place to put a beacon on the 22m band
You may just be hearing something random...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 1250 UTC by Finman »

Offline circuitmike

• View Profile
Re: Some beacon on 13559.97 KHz
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 1507 UTC »
I did wonder about that, of course. Most RFID from phones and stuff is very short pulses. I can hear my phone emitting pips if I unlock it while sitting in the house even though my antenna is outdoors, attached to a shed. I'm in a suburban residential area in a small city so there aren't too many other things out here, and I've listened to this band before and never heard something quite like it. It's still possible, of course, that I was hearing some random thing, but it was definitely new to me, whatever it was.
QTH: Western Massachusetts (FN32rp)
Receiver: KiwiSDR (on-site)
Antenna: Wellbrook ALA-1530LN loop