We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Solar cycle 24 continues weakly, perhaps weakest of the space-age  (Read 2645 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Forecasters have long expected the Solar Max of 2013 to be the weakest of the Space Age. It might be even weaker than they thought. As shown in this 20-year plot of sunspot counts vs. time, the sun is underperforming:

Here's the full article:
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2012/11/06/solar-cycle-24-continues-weakly-perhaps-weakest-of-the-space-age/
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: Solar cycle 24 continues weakly, perhaps weakest of the space-age
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 1401 UTC »
I wonder if that means MW DX will continue to be really good this season.  The summer season seemed to be better than a lot of DXers expected....
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline BDM

• S/E Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 1811 UTC »
Yep, exactly what I was thinking.
Radios -- Perseus SDR // SDRPlay RSPdx // Icom IC-7300 // Tecsun PL-660 // Panasonic RF-5000A --Antennas-- Pixel Pro 1B loop - 82' fan-dipole at 40' - tuned MW/BCB 40" loop and 100' receive only dipole
-Brian--North of Detroit--MI-
1710/KHz the MW Pirate Clear Channel (not so much anymore "sigh")

cmradio

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 1408 UTC »
Noise levels are certainly low!

I travelled to a hick town up north last month and DX'd LW NDB's with the E5's built in loop like my big loop back home! ;D

Peace!

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 1419 UTC »
It's after 9 AM local, and I still have KCJJ Iowa City on 1630 coming in S9. That's 827 miles.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 1803 UTC »
Yeah, a couple days ago I had a strong copy of KXOL, 1660 khz, Brigham City UT between 8:30 a.m. and 9 a.m. local, and it's over 600 miles from my QTH.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline zackers

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 1937 UTC »
I just repaired my 40m loop antenna, which came down over the summer, and also put up an 80m dipole. Now to work on the LowFER loop and E-probe antennas. I'm hoping we do have another good lowband winter!
East Central Illinois
TS-850S, 40 meter full-wave loop, various dipoles

Offline vinoul

• Chicagoland - NW Suburbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 0256 UTC »
I can't help but notice that since they've put that news bit out, the higher HF bands have come alive again and the solar flux has shot up again (currently 146).  I'm beginning to think that noone really knows what's going on with the current solar cycle...  :D

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 1158 UTC »
Yes, activity has picked up a bit this week:  "One spot, dubbed Active Region (AR) 1613, which can be seen in the lower left center of the sun, is of particular interest, because any flares originating from it would be earth directed. Forecasters from NOAA estimate there is a 40% chance of M-class solar flares and a 5% chance of X-class flares from the earth facing side of the sun at the moment. Any such flare originating from AR 1613 has the potential to spark a geomagnetic storm, which could result in aurora borealis or northern lights. "
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns