We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: VHF/UHF general listening antenna  (Read 1572 times)

Elf36

VHF/UHF general listening antenna
« on: October 26, 2021, 1903 UTC »
I may have brought this up in the past. Just wanted to get some general opinions on antennas for VHF/UHF listening. Aircraft, Marine, FRS/GMRS, Taco Bells drive thrus etc. I know that discone's are known for being an all around RX antennas for various bands above 30 MHZ. Are they really any better than,say a 2m/440 vertical? I owned a tram 1411 (The bigger discone) , but didn't keep it long enough to form an opinion. A guy I know really like it, so I gave him a deal on it. The antenna was quite large and after putting a bit dab of glue on the jam nuts and rubber end caps, it seemed to be a pretty solid piece. I attempted to use for TX/RX on 2M/440 with fairly disappointing results. It also claimed to work for 10/11 meters, but I did not even attempt. On that note. If discone's are recommended, is it worth the extra cost for a Diamond as far as actual RX gain? Would be nice to have a dedicated VHF/UHF antenna on the other RSP2 ant port I'm not using.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: VHF/UHF general listening antenna
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 0016 UTC »
No gain on a discone compared to a 2m/70cm vertical, unless the disconey was huge.
Consider a discone to be a dummy load for rxing, incredibly broadbanded but no gain, some use a amp to help it along.

I think the main diffs between the various brands of discone revolve around construction materials and methods and wether it has a stinger or not. A stinger can help in lower band performance such as for cb or 6m use, some guys put a short dual band element in place of the cb/6m stinger to get some gain there.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Elf36

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 1107 UTC »
Thanks. I've always felt that way to. I'll just throw a J-pole up with some LMR-400 for now and see how that works.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 1416 UTC »
I posted a very basic lightweight VHF receiving antenna in your NOAA/NWS thread.

A discone has no inherent gain, but like Josh said, you can use a remote preamp to help the situation.

Height is the important factor for VHF, since you are typically dealing with line-of-sight transmissions. Get whatever antenna as high as possible.

^All that said, I tend to use the lazy approach for local to regional VHF, as in just using my existing 9' ground-mounted vertical. I have a discone, crossed FM dipole, etc. collecting dust in storage.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Elf36

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 1803 UTC »
I saw that. Thanks Rob.