We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: persistent unid identified! + an NDB on MW  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
persistent unid identified! + an NDB on MW
« on: November 17, 2012, 2004 UTC »
I finally succeeded in pinning down my pesky 1060kHz classical-ish music/Spanish language unid.  Credit goes to forumites for tipping me to the fact that it might be XEEP - Radio Educacion out of Mexico City.  Last night/this morning, conditions from the south were nutty! and I caught the best signal I've ever managed from that station, despite horrible splatter from WTSO on 1070.  I tried matching what I heard to XEEP's webstream, and tah-dah!  Unid ID'd! 

Now to figure out what my other pesky unid is.  1440kHz would be a lot clearer if another local, on 14*80*kHz no less, wasn't so overmodulated that it splattered for 40kHz in both directions.  Good lord.  Might that be a call to the station in question?  Hmm. 

As to the NDB heard on MW: I was messing about, trying to figure out what might've been causing a slight heterodyne on 540 - probably the country station out of Iowa or CBC Watrous up against CIAO in Ontario - and I said hey, why not tune down the band a little on sideband.  Maybe you'll get lucky and find something between 10kHz steps.  Well, find I did!  It took me a second to realize that what I was hearing was actually CW, and then I went... the heck?  Hang on... .-.. -.-- --.- L Y Q?  An NDB on the MW band?  I entertained the thought of hearing a harmonic of an NDB (I assume that's possible, considering a signal is a signal wherever you go) but then I checked it against an NDB database. 

Turns out what I heard was LYQ on 529kHz, out of Morrison, Tennessee!  Holy cow!  That's the furthest U.S. NDB catch I've made.  It still gets me that it's on the MW band, too.  *shrugs*  I'm far from complaining! 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.