We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: PSK31 activity  (Read 1101 times)

Elf36

PSK31 activity
« on: November 14, 2021, 1624 UTC »
I decided to download a program for FT8 to see what it looked like. I did receive lots of stations but wasn't in the mood to try and figure out the TX portion today. Don't have a whole lot of desire to get into it anyway. I remembered I had messed around with PSK31 a while back, so I went on 20 meters and had a few QSO's via PSK31. One was into Canada. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed it. I like CW/SSB the best, but it's cool to mess around with something different from time to time. I really like the folks on PSK31. Everyone is always very welcoming and patient. I'm going to take some time to decode some WEFAX today also. Haven't done that in weeks. Nice lazy Sunday today.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
Re: PSK31 activity
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2021, 2200 UTC »
^ 8)

I suspect a small part of the patience and welcoming on PSK and many other digital modes is typing out a message and rereading it (even if subconsciously) before clicking send. There is also the factor that these days many ops first foray into the HF bands are digital modes, especially among the younger crowds.

If feeling a little adventurous for trying other modes, consider taking a look into RTTY. Admittedly it is ancient, but AFAIK, there still is a dedicated following among amateurs circles.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Elf36

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2021, 2257 UTC »
That's a good point about newcomers. Most of the people that operate PSK31 and other digital modes, know how to send pre-written info without having to constantly re-type it. Such as Name, QTH, Station set-up etc. I will try to learn that at some point. It's not something I want to pursue every day, but it's nice to change things up every now and again. One station I worked in NJ was running 2 watts. They also had a tri-bander yagi though. I have heard RTTY is still active. I will give it a try sometime.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 2258 UTC by Elf36 »

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 1925 UTC »
Having a list of available pre-generated replies sets a relatively common initial QSO format and makes digital contacts ever quicker; which is nice if dealing with rough band conditions, rare propagation, etc.

Going to the extrema, you can even automate some digimodes like FT-8. A "full auto" feature has been done and would allow a station to handle traffic without even an operator present; otherwise known as a regulatory violation in the US for amateur bands.

About my early comments, I was thinking more about an actual keyboard ragchew QSO after the initial contact, at least for those not solely interested in chasing paper for DXCC or similar.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Elf36

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2021, 2006 UTC »
Yeah. I haven't done much more than standard exchanges and maybe discussing the weather etc. I'm gonna try to get on later this afternoon after dinner.