We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: WMLK photos  (Read 1089 times)

Offline IQ_imbalance

• Central MD
    • View Profile
WMLK photos
« on: November 27, 2021, 1239 UTC »
Was on a road trip in PA and (moderately) surprised to see WMLK’s antenna still standing….

« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 1409 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
LOG/NE-SW unterminated BOG/DJ-130/800Mhz Yagi
AFEDRI SDR-Net ICF-SC1 SDS-200 various RTL-SDR
Central MD

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: WMLK photos
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 1410 UTC »
I recall quite a few years ago passing their site on I-78, and seeing cinder blocks hanging from the antenna as counter-weights. TimTron would be proud  :)
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 1751 UTC »
Funny you should mention this, as I drove by that site last week.  I was in the area for work of course ::)  According to their website, they just bought a new Ampegon transmitter and are in the process of installing it.

+-RH
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 1847 UTC by redhat »
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 1300 UTC »
Hey Chris,

You know THE Timtron  ?

I started  listening to him on "Yay Yem" (AM) 45 + years  ago.

I have  hung out with him a few times at NEARFEST , Haven't seen him now for years though.

I have never heard ANYONE on amateur radio like   Tim  !

BTW , interesting antenna .

K
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 1144 UTC by NQC »
Station main receiver : Bed springs to  blue razor blade detector to 2000 ohm cans to steam  radiator. Grid FN 42

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 1412 UTC »
Funny you should mention this, as I drove by that site last week.  I was in the area for work of course ::)  According to their website, they just bought a new Ampegon transmitter and are in the process of installing it.

I've been following their never ending saga on their Facebook page.  They've had severe storms, hailstorms, and a fire that burned down their transmitter building. Somewhat ironic for a religious broadcaster, although I don't think any plagues of locusts or frogs - yet.

Their latest post:

Today (10/27/2021) The Ampegon Engineer Simon, gave a two hour seminar on starting up the T-2300 Ampegon Transmitter to those that will be responsible for the Broadcasting duties of WMLK Radio. We were glad to realize how close to operational WMLK Radio is. In attendance was:
T. E. Jonathan S Meyer
Deacon Nathaniel A Meyer
John Dalton
Deacon G. E. MacGavin (Taking the picture.)

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns