We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: MW opening to Mexico/Cuba, 10/25  (Read 2237 times)

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
MW opening to Mexico/Cuba, 10/25
« on: November 25, 2012, 2339 UTC »
Did anybody else catch the absolutely ridiculous opening to Mexico, Cuba and the extreme southern States last night?  There was a ton of flutter and rapid fading, but at times, Canada and the northeast U.S. were all but shot.  XEX on 730, XEW on 900, XEG on 1050, XERF on 1570 and XEROK on 800 were all blasting in.  I literally had a Mexico City station *above* WJR, drowning the latter out almost completely!  How the heck?  :)  Somebody I couldn't ID definitively, but who I suspect was Texas Spanish-language oldies station KAMA, was above WSB in much the same way.  

Unfortunately, due to fading (argh!) I had a zillion unids, but I did manage two new catches for me, including the third todapoderoso from Cuba; Radio Reloj, I finally snagged you!  Here are the two I definitely caught.  

760, XEABC - ABC Radio, Mexico City, Mexico DF, 0647-0700.  Mainly American popular music with program ID's between songs.  I'm sure I heard 'El Partido' said at least once.  Clear ABC Radio ID and time check at 0650 - time given was 12:50.  Into Toto's 'Africa' after this.  Signal variable, booming in atop WJR in Detroit at first, then weakening to equal levels with that station.  Lots of flutter.  SIO 444 at best, 322 at worst.  

1020, Radio Reloj, Santa Clara, Cuba, 0703-0704.  Spanish-language talk, presumably news, by a male presenter.  Clock ticks clearly audible in the background, as well as an RR Morse ID.  Signal only audible for a short time, then lost amid other unidentified English and Spanish 1020's.  SIO 333 while audible.  

As I said, I suspect I got KAMA out of Texas on 750, and there's still an annoying as heck unid on 1440 that's driving me mad.  It's definitely Mexican; I heard the DJ ask if the audience was liking the corridos he was playing at one point.  I've clearly heard catorce cuarenta AM as well, but the problem is, there are at least two Mexican stations on that frequency!  Given conditions favored Mexico City last night, I'm inclined to suspect somebody nearer there, but who?  

I also had someone fainter on 1620, playing mainly romantic ballads from the sound of things.  Never could get an ID.  Could this have been a Cuban local outside their usual three, or did I get someone in another part of Latin America?  Hmm.  
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 0404 UTC by Chanter »
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
Re: MW opening to Mexico/Cuba, 10/25
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 0121 UTC »
I tuned around MW a little last night and noticed semi-auroral conditions here.  710 WAQI "Radio Mambi" out of Miami was coming in - a rare catch up in these parts.  Cuba also heard on 710.  Outside of this, nothing else interesting noted, but I didn't spend a lot of time tuning around.

Chanter: Nice logs!  I've never logged KAMA but I often hear XECSI on 750 airing American 80s pop and rock music.  Nevada's KHWG running day power at night also tears up WSB during the early morning hours.  I wonder if your 1620 was WDHP Virgin Islands?
PLS QSL kilokat7(at)gmail.com
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
1980s pirate off-air archive
West Michigan DX

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 0415 UTC »
I've only heard one other station over WSB, and that's CKJH out of Saskatchewan.  I nearly fell over when I caught that one as is!  I had to check I wasn't tuned to the Ontarian Zoomer on 740 by mistake when that came in.  Wish I could've definitively ID'd the 750 I had last night, darnit. 

No idea what conditions were like later that night, as I fell asleep not long after 1 or so.  But oh man, if I got the Virgin Islands... I would be blown away in amazement.  Usually, an Indiana pop station or a darn loud sportscaster blocks everything out there.  I'll be trying that one again for sure! 

When I caught Radio Rebelde on MW earlier this fall, it was 710kHz, and booming!  I'd also swear I had Saint Vincent Grenadines on 700 once a few weeks ago, but I never got an ID.  I couldn't find a pop station listed on that frequency from anywhere else.  So far, no sign of it again.  Darn! it! 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 0440 UTC »
I logged R. Rebelde on 1180 khz underneath KOFI, Kalispell, MT a couple nights ago (11/28).  Lots of music and talk in Spanish, // to the R. Rebelde outlet on 5025 khz.

Just over 2700 miles -- I think it's my longest received station from the North American continent.  I logged a station from Mexico City on 1500 khz in the late spring... don't remember the calls.  But I think Cuba is a bit farther away.

I heard the same music and talk before on 1180 but hadn't thought of comparing it to 5025.  I guess the Cubans sometimes make it up here in the PNW.  Must be the Gulf of Mexico affecting propagation.  I was pretty surprised.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).