We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Poll

Probably in the wrong area BUT those who use or have used an R-390a for SWL or number station hunting...Do you

Love it
2 (50%)
Like it
1 (25%)
It's okay
1 (25%)
Not a favorite
0 (0%)
Don't like it
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: December 21, 2021, 1502 UTC

Author Topic: R-390a Users  (Read 3841 times)

Offline M R I

• View Profile
Re: R-390a Users
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2022, 0036 UTC »
As far as stability on the R-390A I re worked the cosmos PTO VFO for mechanical stability and now after full warmup the drift is now 4Hz with the heaters off. Just amazing for a receiver that is 59-71 years old.
Mix.Radio.International [at] ProtonMail [dot] com

Offline Charlie_Dont_Surf

• Charlie's Point, California
    • View Profile
Re: R-390a Users
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2022, 0226 UTC »
We had one decades ago at the club station at my university. The enclosure was pretty beat up with a lot of scratched paint. Maybe it was banged around a bit in the Korean or Vietnam Wars. It worked OK but I always felt like it needed an alignment since it it felt a bit "unresponsive" and maybe the AGC wasn't quite right. In any case, I listened to many hours of Radio Dublin and Radio Fax (the station, not the mode) on that bad boy.
I don't STRETCH the truth.

"Every minute I spend in this room, my signal gets weaker.
Every minute Charlie squats in the bush, his signal gets stronger."