We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: WSM (BARELY) Under Digital Station  (Read 1046 times)

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
WSM (BARELY) Under Digital Station
« on: December 16, 2021, 1211 UTC »
Hey All,

Log from earlier this week : Copied WSM under the regional  digital dog WSRO 650 . Specks  of voice and  a rhythm beat  for for a bit ( sounded like a good ole country bass).
SM/SRO are nearly on the same bearing to me , so some hash had to be let in or no joy. Radio placement  / loop aiming geometries  were among the tightest I have ever encountered, super touchy and  extremely easy to lose.

I suppose the take away here is it can be done (in "theory" !) , but would take a LOT more horsepower from the analog station to "break through". Even then , not sure how listenable things would be.

Nice to hear a tiny peep from "The Legend " , but overall a colossal failure.

Also FWIW, a  tiny BIT of SRO  hash QRM to fair CMLA 640 and  strong WFAN 660, but not enough to really affect things.

640 in particular is one of my favorite Dx frequencies.

K

Station main receiver : Bed springs to  blue razor blade detector to 2000 ohm cans to steam  radiator. Grid FN 42

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
Re: WSM (BARELY) Under Digital Station
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2021, 0124 UTC »
The Legend with a nice signal tonight... wish they would play more of the old stuff though.

Otherwise, 640 usually just a jumble here but Mexican format WMFN Peotone IL (south of Chicago) occasionally
breaking through tonight with 1.6kw of power.
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
Re: WSM (BARELY) Under Digital Station
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2021, 0351 UTC »
Hey Pinto,

It was great to hear SM during SRO's silent months around a year or so ago.

Hopefully  the digital format  will tank and and leave 650 clear to MA.

K
Station main receiver : Bed springs to  blue razor blade detector to 2000 ohm cans to steam  radiator. Grid FN 42

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns